Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

TV's with either IP or RS232 Control

Had the email last night that Sharp are pulling out of the LCD TV Market which is a shame as they had a great product IMO

The big question now is what TV's out there are reliably controllable via either IP or RS232 - prefer not to use IR

cheers

Comments

• TonyAngeloTonyAngelo Posts: 315
    Do you have a link? I can't find any info about this.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I remember sitting at a CEDIA show a few years back at the Sony room to hear a talk about their new product line when the CEO of US sales casually mentioned at the outset that as of this year (the year at that time) Sony would no longer be manufacturing Displays with RS232 control. IR only.

To be honest, I've been doing mostly IR nowadays anyway. It's really the only constant and consistent method left to us. rs232 is getting hard to find and IP is just too easy for the manufacturers to constantly change - especially since the current sales-think is "It's gotta be cloud based" I don't know how many times I've seen stuff quit working after the integrator did a firmware upgrade on their displays. I have kind of learned over time how to 'fairly' reliably track display power with the need to occasionally double-clutch the IR power commands for TVs that may ignore the first one.

I will also say, that properly installed and managed IR has been very reliable as long as there are discrete commands for power/source/aspect AND the ir emitter heads are installed well with silicone adheasive (not the stupid stickers) AND AND AND the monitors are nowhere near children or pets. (The last is vital)
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    The problem is generally that you need non-consumer products for that. (Sony's line is easy to control over IP). Samsung TVs newer than 2013 aren't controllable via IP anymore.

I honestly wouldn't call the Sharp IP controls realiable though, if for any reason you lose the connection you have (had?) to hard reset the entire TV.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Jorde_V wrote: »
    The problem is generally that you need non-consumer products for that. (Sony's line is easy to control over IP). Samsung TVs newer than 2013 aren't controllable via IP anymore.

I honestly wouldn't call the Sharp IP controls realiable though, if for any reason you lose the connection you have (had?) to hard reset the entire TV.

I think this is a good point... the most oft heard argument against IR control is the whole "Reliability Issue" and the "I have no way of knowing what's going on with the device" argument. But, as I count in my head a good chunk of the other methods are pretty much the same thing. IP control tends to be flaky at times and as I've already said, more than once I've been burned by a stupid firmware upgrade. Many IP controlled devices don't offer feedback and are pretty much "Send it and hope..."

IR is not a good solution. Perhaps it's better to call it the less-crappy solution since it tends to not change over time.
  • Jorde_VJorde_V Posts: 393
    ericmedley wrote: »

I think this is a good point... the most oft heard argument against IR control is the whole "Reliability Issue" and the "I have no way of knowing what's going on with the device" argument. But, as I count in my head a good chunk of the other methods are pretty much the same thing. IP control tends to be flaky at times and as I've already said, more than once I've been burned by a stupid firmware upgrade. Many IP controlled devices don't offer feedback and are pretty much "Send it and hope..."

IR is not a good solution. Perhaps it's better to call it the less-crappy solution since it tends to not change over time.

You either have complex IP control or IR-over-IP when it comes to consumer level devices. With the complex IP protocols you basically get the 5+ seconds to connect you get when you try to use your smartphone to control your TV. (The horrible apps we've all seen)
  • infoscreeninfoscreen Posts: 16
    We are know how can complete remote the SHARP TV (depend of the series). At the moment I'havent complete module, but I'm need write very soon... Example this is the IR command: IRCO11BB - MAIN Home button
    IRCO0157 - UP
    IRCO0120 - DOWN
    IRCO01D7 - LEFT
    IRCO01D8 - RIGHT
    IRCO0152 - OK
    IRCO01E4 - BACK
    IRCO01F5 - END
    IRCO11C6 - MENU
    IRCO0114 - VOL +
    IRCO0115 - VOL -

IDIN0081 - Home Network

IDIN0082 - USB Media