Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Transfer error in Studio 2.4

Here's a strange one. I've looked in the forums for anything related to this, but no luck. I was uploading a file to an NI4000 with a bunch of Phast hubs connected to it. The program (written by someone else) is quite large with a bunch of includes and modules. I was connecting serially to the master and after 30 seconds, the .axs code file would cancel. The error message was something like 'Transfer aborted. The specified file took longer to load than allowed, 30 seconds'. 3 attempts yeilded the same results, so I broke out the hub and ethernet cables and was able to successfully upload the file to the master. I've loaded large master files via serial in the past and have not encounted this problem. Anyone have any ideas?

Joe

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    My guess is traffic from the Phast hubs was bogging down the master. Phastlink is painfully traffic intense and timing sensitive (or perhaps I should say, most of the device implementations I have seen are, I don't know if it's intrinsic to the protocol or the devices). I now avoid Phastlink things like the plague if I have any choice about it at all.
  • Options
    JoeJoe Posts: 99
    Same error, different system

Okay, now I'm really confused. I am attempting to upload a TPD file from a 2-way Viewpoint, and I am getting the same error. This is a completely different system, with only an NXI master and the Viewpoint (Netwave server, actually). I start uploading and the transfer stops, with the error message "Item transfer has exceeded allowed amount of time (30 sec) between status messages. Cancelling Item transfer". I am connected via IP, have tried both Automatically Ping Master and not pinging it, have tried with File Transfer 2, all with the same result. I don't see anything in the preferences that would address this. Anyone have any ideas?

Joe

Followup: I tried a second panel, same deal. The panel goes to bluescreen, says "Sending File Root Project Panel" then locks up. It also apparently locks up the Nexlinx box, because nothing else functions without a hard reboot.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I have never had any real, consistent, success transfering to a G3 Viewpoint via the master (not even with an Axcent controller). The Axlink connection is very, very slow. Add to that the wireless aspect, and there is just too much room for errors and timeouts. It can be done, but in most cases, it's by far more painless to simply plug directly into the panel.

This is a similar issue to the Phastlink situation. In the case of the Viewpoint, you are dealing with protocols that are really not optimized for this kind of transfer, and you are adding to the mix the process of passing all your data through another device, which itself is not optimized for that kind of transfer. Under the best circumstances, you can get it to work, but nearly always it's better to load your screens directly. In the case of the Phastlink, just the presence of the devices on your buss is interfering with the load due to traffic. But in both cases, you have older, slower devices keeping the newer stuff from responding the way you expect it to.