Nest HVAC and CO Module

Hi AMX forumers,

What a good news, a NEST module available on the AMX website.
Does someone have already tested it and could provide feedback about it ?
Thanks to share.

Comments

  • vincenvincen Junior Member Posts: 526
    Well at least it won't be disappointing compared to other AMX modules !! It simply doesn't work :( Loaded in my NX with latest firmware, send the send command to module to give pin for Nest but nothing happens in touch panel pages excepted display version of module ! Everything else is dead....
    Side note: the main feature is not avalaible (be able to setup temperature of thermostat......
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Junior Member Posts: 4,584
    I'm having a hard time justifying putting any device on an AMX system (or any other really) that has it's own app that works flawlessly. The amount of time and sweat and unbillable labor to get them working seems like an utter waste when I can say "just use the app," or with TPControl, actually *launch* the app. Especially when the native app has remote capability that I can't easily replicate on the AMX. I have a client with network cameras that are just old enough to not have their own app, and I cringe every time the client calls up VNC on his iPhone, connects to an MVP-8400, then has to use that to view the cameras. I would switch him to a native app in a heartbeat if the cameras had one.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 AMX Wizard Posts: 1,619
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time justifying putting any device on an AMX system (or any other really) that has it's own app that works flawlessly. The amount of time and sweat and unbillable labor to get them working seems like an utter waste when I can say "just use the app," or with TPControl, actually *launch* the app. Especially when the native app has remote capability that I can't easily replicate on the AMX. I have a client with network cameras that are just old enough to not have their own app, and I cringe every time the client calls up VNC on his iPhone, connects to an MVP-8400, then has to use that to view the cameras. I would switch him to a native app in a heartbeat if the cameras had one.

    Going to an app is a drag, especially if there are a few of them. The only app I ever will launch is Kaleidescape, by putting it on a button on my Kaleidescape page and I don't think it gets used very often to be honest. A lot of apps suck balls as well.
    Paul
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Junior Member Posts: 4,584
    I agree, I don't like it much. But I can't compete with them either. Customers are getting this, "I have a free app that's perfect, how come you are billing me all this time" attitude. That's what I meant by hard to justify. And when I do get a client that's willing to spend it, they freak at the smallest flaws or things that are outside my control, but "work fine on the app."
  • a_riot42a_riot42 AMX Wizard Posts: 1,619
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    I agree, I don't like it much. But I can't compete with them either. Customers are getting this, "I have a free app that's perfect, how come you are billing me all this time" attitude. That's what I meant by hard to justify. And when I do get a client that's willing to spend it, they freak at the smallest flaws or things that are outside my control, but "work fine on the app."

    Which apps specifically? Some of the apps my clients have been using are certainly far from perfect, and don't even have all the features my little custom AMX module has. Most free apps are nowhere near perfect so it sounds like your customers are simply trying to get you to do work for free or something, or just like to complain. I hate the whole app thing, where you need a separate app for every little thing. I thought it was all supposed to be web services by now anyway with no client software. Remember that paradigm? Lol. Most of my clients get pissed if they have to leave the TPC app to do something which isn't very often so I'm not hearing this "I have a free app that's perfect..." thing.
    Paul
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Junior Member Posts: 4,584
    Perception is everything. Even when it's really not perfect, they will consider it so when it does that one thing your custom module doesn't. You're right, there is a strong element of wanting free work, but that's kind of my point. If I can't get them to pay for it, I certainly can't spend the time on it.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 AMX Wizard Posts: 1,619
    DHawthorne wrote: »
    If I can't get them to pay for it, I certainly can't spend the time on it.

    That's true. What I've been finding is the the hardware costs are so large these days compared to the programming fees, that they really aren't much of a concern most times. Even a small theater or small home has tens of thousands in AV and automation hardware, so the programming costs are quite reasonable, considering you get things exactly how you want them more or less. Now that cheaper iPads/TPC are being used more often instead of expensive touch panels, clients really aren't too worried about the fees, as long as it works well and is easy to use, which is critical. No one wants to pay for stuff that doesn't work or is annoying to use.
    Paul
  • ColzieColzie Senior Member Posts: 470
    vincen wrote: »
    Well at least it won't be disappointing compared to other AMX modules !! It simply doesn't work :( Loaded in my NX with latest firmware, send the send command to module to give pin for Nest but nothing happens in touch panel pages excepted display version of module ! Everything else is dead....
    Side note: the main feature is not avalaible (be able to setup temperature of thermostat......

    The Nest module does work, but you have to do a bit of manual work to get it configured. The manual spells out some of the steps but it took a bit of guesswork to get it running. I forget the exact steps but I remember having to manually send a command with a PIN generated from the Nest website, and then issue a NESTCONFIG (or similar?, and maybe after a reboot?) to get the long IDs that can then be put into the module configuration section. Or something like that!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file