Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

MVP-5150 @nicolau - Response to new post in old thread.

nicolau replied
06-19-2015, 07:49 PM

I am having an issue with a 5150 and would like to ask if anyone could help. This client's panel started to freeze after some use. No button can be pressed and a reboot using the left side button is necessary to start using it again. But sometimes it takes more than on boot for it to start again, it freezes from time to time on the AMX screen. When it is alive again, if you reboot it using telnet command it doesn't reboot but if you use the button on the setup page it reboots...Anyway, I decided to load the same firmware again to guarantee that any corruption inside is fixed. The current firmware is 2.66.21. All firmware files load from Netlinx Studio but when it ends the file loading it doesn't reboot....only using the button on the left to reboot it. Well, we can say that it was expected to happen but when it comes back it says "Upgrade Failed" and nothing changes since the same system is loaded again. Is there another way to force an upgrade?

[/quuote]

nicolau,
Sorry to not respond to your original post but the forum would not let me respond with a quote for some reason and I tried to refresh the screen and the post is lost in the ether. The post was a really old one that was bumped up with this new post. (Forum gods: this is the big issue concerning searches. but I digress.)

Sounds like your Compact Flash card may have died or at least the files on it are now corrupt. The 'getting stuck on the AMX bootup screen' is the clue. I don't happen to have the CF image myself but there are probably those on the forum here who do and they might be able to jump in and help you re-flash the CF card. Failing that, however, you will probably need to send it in to AMX repair.

Comments

• DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    That would be my guess as well, the CF card is on it's way out.
  • nicolaunicolau Posts: 40
    Thank you for your replies. As soon as I stop on the office I will call Technical Support. We have some failed 5200i which I believe have good CF cards. Could I borrow one of these for his panel? We also still have a good 5150 in stock, can I simply exchange their cards to test?
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    nicolau wrote: »
    Thank you for your replies. As soon as I stop on the office I will call Technical Support. We have some failed 5200i which I believe have good CF cards. Could I borrow one of these for his panel? We also still have a good 5150 in stock, can I simply exchange their cards to test?

Swap out CF from different panel: That's a good question and I don't know the answer. My guess would be no since they are really quite different. But, you could ask Tech Support and I'm sure they'd know.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Careful. There is a firmware stub that does not reside on the CF, but in ROM. If the version on the CF is too different from the stub, it won't run. If you do get the replacement card to work, make sure you do a full firmware update, need it or not, to make sure all the pieces match.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Re: the firmware part that lives on the motherboard in panels... yes, you can get out of synch and can't correct it... but there is a way.

What we've done is to load new firmware into a similar working panel (so you can load at all). It doesn't matter what version the work panel is, or what firmware you use... When the panel finishes the load, it shuts down to start the reboot and do the upgrade, PULL THE POWER before it starts up again. Then move the flash card to the target panel with mismatched onboard firmware. Power it up and the upgrade process (all on the card!) will commandeer the operation and update the resident parts to match the flash card parts.

Yes. It works. (but see next post as to why it won't work on a 5200)
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Whoops. You are working on 5200's... that series DOES NOT USE CF cards. I have two of them AND a 5150 open on the table in front of me at the moment (rebuilding batteries) and NO, there are no socketed memory devices. You won't be swapping cards.
  • nicolaunicolau Posts: 40
    Dear Eric, Dave and John, Thank you. I called TS and they said we should sent the panel for repair.