Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

DMX0512

Ho guys,

can you help me with an example of using DMX-512 module?

thank you!

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    I have done quite a few systems with this box and I can tell you there is not real reason to use the module. The command protocol is very simple. You might as well just speak right to the box yourself and manage the conversation in your own code. After all, you still have to create an API from the module<>Main program. Might aw well cut out the middle man since the module pretty much mimics the responses coming from the box anyway.

You simply have to open and maintain an IP connection on port 23 (TELNET) and treat it as a serial device. I always build in a routine to keep the connection alive and track issues. I will say in the systems I've done I have never seen the thing drop offline except in cases where it was physically disconnected. That would be my recommendation. E
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Oh, one other thing to note about them: They are very slooooow... Some client education is required to keep them from banging on buttons.
  • Options
    cristibadcristibad Posts: 69
    yes, it's verry slow...but it's ok for my application. anyway, how can i read the level of the channels?