Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Permissions issue with Studio

I've been trying to set up a Windows 2000 environment at home for the purpose of coding Netlinx. In an effort to make Windows semi-secure, I've set up a "normal" user which I will use for routine non-sysadmin work, e.g. Netlinx coding. This user is a "user" in Windows 2000 terminology, i.e. no access to system areas. My theory is that when the system gets 0wn3d, rogue processes won't be able to do damage because they're running as a non-privileged user.

[Why 2000 and not something newer? Because that's what I have an installer CD for, and I'm not going to buy a new PC when I don't need to.]

In the course of testing things, I've found that Studio 2.4 (build 2.4.0.126) apparently wants to write files to c:\{blahblah}\system32\config, which of course "user" isn't allowed to do, so the compiler fails with

'ERROR: (0): C10580: Internal Error: Major system error occurred during code generation'

If I set permissions on c:\{blahblah}\system32 so that "user" has read/write/modify access, the error goes away, but this defeats the purpose of the existence of "user".

Is there some workaround, or do I just have to live with not being able to get any work done unless I'm root?

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Did you take care to install all AMX softwares as admin user ? as it's mandatory, and then you should be able to run softwares as simple user without problems ;)

Vinc
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I agree with Vincen - you should be able to run it fine as a user. But perhaps you need to install it as admin. I don't see where anything but installing should require writing to the system folder as you describe.
  • Options
    chillchill Posts: 186
    This behavior seemed strange to me as well. Yes, I installed Studio as Administrator. Maybe I'll try reinstalling.
  • Options
    alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    Probably not relevant to your problem but I've had that compiler error come up when I had two functions of the same name.
  • Options
    chill wrote:
    My theory is that when the system gets 0wn3d,

Slang update - at least that I've seen online recently - due to some haxzor slipping a keystroke, the "in" term is currently "to be pwned". (It's pronounced "powned" - just like owned with a p in front)

- Chip (keeper of all things inane and arcane)
  • Options
    alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    Interesting I never actually thought anybody would say that out loud and never really considered how you'd pronounce it...
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Chip Moody wrote:
    Slang update - at least that I've seen online recently - due to some haxzor slipping a keystroke, the "in" term is currently "to be pwned". (It's pronounced "powned" - just like owned with a p in front)
    Since we?re digressing: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pwned
  • Options
    alexanbo wrote:
    Interesting I never actually thought anybody would say that out loud and never really considered how you'd pronounce it...

Hey - Xbox live - it's all about being vocal. (That's both good and bad) :)

- Chip
  • Options
    JillJill Posts: 44
    Chip Moody wrote:
    Hey - Xbox live - it's all about being vocal. (That's both good and bad) :)
    - Chip
    Why does this not surprise me, Chip and vocal :eek: , you bad, bad Chip ;)