Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Just Add Power module using JAD Config

I am updating a switch at an install that has been working for years using JAPs. The new configurator works great and makes it much easier to set up a system. The AMX module, though is giving me trouble when sending 232 commands through a receiver. The ASCII string will send characters fine, but translates the spaces to hex $20. The TV will not accept that. Docklight scripting will send the same command properly through the receiver and does work the TV.
Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    What was the switch and what is the new switch. If you're only changing the switch why would anything have changed or need to change other than the commands to the switch, why would the module affect the serial commands to the TV. Is the AMX module doing anything besides switch VLANs associations to ports to route sources to displays?
  • Options
    imsocoimsoco Posts: 46
    Changing the switch from an extreme networks to a Cisco SG300 enabled layer 3 options and the use of JAD config. JAD config is great for setup and the new module works well. The new module has an option to send a string directly to the JAP receiver that will be passed onto a device, such as a tv power command. OK, now that we are on the same page, JAP has a compiled module that will take a command sent to it and pass it along as a string to the device. After many hours of tech support I final;ly gopt a string to come out, using putty to receive the string from the JAP 232 port. If I sent "'POWR1 ',13" I would get POWR1x20x20x20 then a carriage return. I need to send a space which the module translated to hex for me. I do not know how you could take a literal string and split it between hex and ascii, but that is what it did. I gave up on their module and wrote my own and it is simple and works fine.
    The reason for the post is that I was told by JAP tech support that they have lots of people using this module without a problem. I need to know if it is something I missed or is the module screwed up. It is not an issue any more since I rolled my own.
  • Options
    Hmmm, so it is translating the spaces to the ascii characters of their hex value? So if in netlinx you send the string "$20" or "' '" (which are functionally the same) the module somehow outputs "'x20'" to the physical serial port? I have no experience with the module in question, but I'm curious as I've looked at the JAP stuff and it looks cool. It seems like there has to be a delimiter somewhere in the JAP protocol that it needs in order to send special characters, I'd look in their documentation for an escape sequence or something.
  • Options
    imsocoimsoco Posts: 46
    I broke down and wrote the code to pass 232 commands through the JAP device. That was easy and solved the problem. Their customer support is pretty good but had no idea what was going on with the module.
    Jap is a pretty solid device, but it basically is not controlled by AMX. The switch does all the work, AMX controls the VLAN's. It is more important to evaluate the switch in depth rather than the JAP system.
    The SVSI system is much better from what I hear. My son has a couple hundred running on a large hotel system and swears by it.