Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

HTTP Transfers

I uploaded the 160MB of new firmware to my demo master, and it was really fast using the new HTTP transfer. However, I am usually remoting in, and so far can't get it to work through a firewall with port 80 forwarded to the master. Has anyone had any luck with this?
Paul

Comments

• I had the same issue. I suspect it's just coordinating it with the Network/IT folks. Haven't tried it locally, so I can't say much to that.
  • a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    I had the same issue. I suspect it's just coordinating it with the Network/IT folks. Haven't tried it locally, so I can't say much to that.

It turns out that the way its implemented is with a webserver on your computer treating the master as a client. So there's no way it can work over WAN. I'll try through a VPN and see if that works any better.
    Paul
  • ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    a_riot42 wrote: »

It turns out that the way its implemented is with a webserver on your computer treating the master as a client. So there's no way it can work over WAN. I'll try through a VPN and see if that works any better.
    Paul

a very helpful report Paul. Thanks!
    ericmedley wrote: »

a very helpful report Paul. Thanks!

No problem. It sucks though as its so much faster than the legacy way so it would have been very nice if you didn't have to be on the same network. At 160MB the NX series firmware can take a looong time to push, and the HTTP transfer compensated for that in spades.
    Paul

No problem. It sucks though as its so much faster than the legacy way so it would have been very nice if you didn't have to be on the same network. At 160MB the NX series firmware can take a looong time to push, and the HTTP transfer compensated for that in spades.
    Paul

Yeah, you'd think they could still create a method whereby you could at least have the remote device initiate the conversation or something. It is a waaay faster transfer. Since VPN's normal conversation includes its own error detection and encryp/decrypt the effective file transfer rate can be on an order of 25% the speed of the connection in general.
  • PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    It's almost as though there should be some sort of central mechanism, maybe a web server that all of your masters could connect to, that housed your device firmware. Just imagine, it would be awesome if this could monitor those resources too...
    PhreaK wrote: »
    It's almost as though there should be some sort of central mechanism, maybe a web server that all of your masters could connect to, that housed your device firmware. Just imagine, it would be awesome if this could monitor those resources too...

If you are referring to "The Fog", I don't know if that would solve my problem of slow FW uploads to masters the legacy way.
    Paul

If you are referring to "The Fog", I don't know if that would solve my problem of slow FW uploads to masters the legacy way.
    Paul

I feel "The Fog" is the most hilarious term on the internet yet.
  • PhreaK wrote: »

you know, I might just have something here on site that can do that!!!!