Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Compile Failed; File %s could not be created

Please can anyone shed some light on this compile error. All of a sudden out of the blue I started getting this error in 6 separate projects all systems that I'm busy adding RMS to.
Its worth noting that I'm working on Windows 10 in a virtual machine(vbox). My other projects that don't require the RmsNetLinxAdapter_dr4 module all compile fine.

Here is the code I'm compiling

PROGRAM_NAME='Test Compile Error'
(***********************************************************)
(* DEVICE NUMBER DEFINITIONS GO BELOW *)
(***********************************************************)
DEFINE_DEVICE
vdvRMS = 41111:1:1
//dvRMSControlSystems1 = 0:1:1

//RMS
define_module 'RmsNetLinxAdapter_dr4_0_0' mdlRMSNetLinx(vdvRMS)
//

Starting NetLinx Compile - Version[2.5.2.420] [01-18-2016 12:40:22]
C:\Users\vetus\Desktop\SBSA `Current Code\Test Compile Error.axs
ERROR: (0): L20206: File [commons-codec-1.4-AMX-01.jar] could not be found
ERROR: C:\Users\vetus\Desktop\SBSA `Current Code\Test Compile Error.tkn(15): L20215: Compile failed; File %s could not be created
C:\Users\vetus\Desktop\SBSA `Current Code\Test Compile Error.axs - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)
Compiled Code takes 23819 bytes of memory -- Token and Variable Count is 748 (Maximum is 200000)
NetLinx Compile Complete [01-18-2016 12:40:22]

Also if I double click on the compile error it opens file Test Compile Error.tkn and ith as a single character in it. ?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• GregGGregG Posts: 251
    I had an update issue a while back where studio lost my libraries and includes settings.

You may want to check under netlinx studio's "Settings...Preferences" menu in the netlinx compiler side tab, in the directories box area. Check the drop-downs from "Library Files" to "Module Files" and make sure that the directory where you have "commons-codec-1.4-AMX-01.jar" is still listed somewhere in there.

If all else fails, you can put commons-codec-1.4-AMX-01.jar in the project code folder, but with all the stuff RMS includes, it is better not to replicate it 47 times.
  • LightDemonLightDemon Posts: 2
    edited September 2019

I know I am bumping a very old thread but I just started having this issue after windows updated to 1903. I don't get a file can not be found error just the .tkn: L20215: Compile failed; File %s could not be created. The .tkn file does seem to be created and it appears to have data in it thou I cant determine the encoding so it is just jibberish but at least there is data. Has anyone seen this recently or have any idea?

• quirkquirk Posts: 28

@LightDemon said:
    I know I am bumping a very old thread but I just started having this issue after windows updated to 1903. I don't get a file can not be found error just the .tkn: L20215: Compile failed; File %s could not be created. The .tkn file does seem to be created and it appears to have data in it thou I cant determine the encoding so it is just jibberish but at least there is data. Has anyone seen this recently or have any idea?

Please try reinstalling Netlinx Studio 4.

• @HARMAN_quirk said:

Please try reinstalling Netlinx Studio 4.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Netlinx Studio 4 and am still receiving the same error.

• I've had this happen (Compile failed; File %s could not be created ) when I didn't have the correct permissions for the location the file would be written to, for instance a network share. I wouldn't be surprised if some new protection feature in version 1903 would trigger this.

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734

Recent SMB share revisions in Win10 make older (V1) SMB communication really flakey, and there is no cure. I was fortunate to be able to use NFS on my old NAS, after being unfortunate to waste 2 days figuring out why it had to be done.

• Checking in to see if anyone currently has a project folder that is currently experiencing this failure to compile issue. I encountered a scenario recently in which the problem followed the project folder to multiple machines, but was limited to a specific project and I could compile other projects. After troubleshooting this recreatable issue, we managed to find a solution for my issue that did not require a workspace rebuild or an export and we would like to know if this is a repeatable solution for others.

Common Contributing Factors to reported failures
    1) Project involves duet files
    2) Project file(s) are located on a network share or within a sync'd cloud storage folder

Known Work Arounds:
    1) Manually rebuild the workspace file
    2) Export the project, open export workspace, compile the newly created workspace

Potential discovery:
    When duet files are included in the workspace, the "compiled" code package is a glorified zip file sent to the master. There are two ways the assembly process can fail. Either fail method will result in the %s error. In my most recent case, we observed a PROG.tkn file that was present in the root level of the folder structure at the same level as the workspace file. Under normal circumstances, this is not visible and presumably rolled into the project token file.

The theory is that the file is created as part of the compile and then moved into the project tkn as part of the compilation process. If the file already exists within the folder, there is an error thrown because the file already exists and is locked from being overwritten. Upon encountering this scenario, the compiler is unable to proceed.

After deleting this erroneous file, the project would compile successfully without any other form of intervention.

• My fix for this issue was to delete the PROG.TKN file in the compile folder.