Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

ICSNet Hub

Looking at the spec of the ICSNet hub it actually looks to me as if a standard ethernet hub could be used instead. Has anybody tried this?

Comments

• davegrovdavegrov Posts: 114
    ICE Net

I think you might need at least a POE switch. I'm not sure but ICS net may use IPX/SPX in lieu of TCP/IP. Again just a guess and would like to know for sure.
  • ICSNet Hub

An ethernet switch is not compatible with ICSNet in any way.
    Don't waste time on this.

Rex
  • Yeah... ICSNet is a unique protocol - and not one that rides over Ethernet - otherwise why would masters have both types of ports on them?

- Chip
  • vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Yep ICSNet/ICSHub is definitively not Ethernet, and it can be dangerous both for hub/switch and master port if you try to plug one in the other as wire pairs are not used in the same way !!

Vinc
  • ICSNet is basically an RS-485 type of connection. It uses 4 wires but actually is just 2-wire RS-485 with a redundant loop. The communication is serial and goes at 625kpbs I believe.

The only thing in common with Ethernet is that it uses RJ45 connectors. Like RS485, ICSNet requires termination at the end of runs and has physical limits on the number of devices per run.

Thus, you should never plug it into an Ethernet hub of any kind.
  • hodeyphodeyp Posts: 104
    many thanks for the input. I have a small question then - my installer made a small mistake when laying a cat5 cable from my controller to another room. The cable is now fixed in position and cannot be moved but is about 12 inches too short and will not reach my NI3000 (!). I am looking for a cheap but effective way of extending the cable?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...
  • hodeyp wrote:
    many thanks for the input. I have a small question then - my installer made a small mistake when laying a cat5 cable from my controller to another room. The cable is now fixed in position and cannot be moved but is about 12 inches too short and will not reach my NI3000 (!). I am looking for a cheap but effective way of extending the cable?

Any thoughts would be appreciated...

It should be possible to use a RJ45-RJ45 Adapter (fully connected) from a computer shop to add an additional patch cable to get the last inches required.......
  • A extension cable,M/F will work with no problems, did the cable to short thing a few times myself so I know that the extension will work. ;)
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Just make sure that all of the adapters and cables you use are straight thru configuration, not cross over. Also make sure that the patch cable and adapter use all 8 pins/wires. I have seen a lot of the les expensive patch cables and adapters using only 4 wires.

Jeff
  • Don't associate Ethernet incompatibility with CAT5 wiring incompatibility. You can freely use a cable for connecting your PC to a network OR hooking up ICSNet devices - the cables are wired the same...

- Chip
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Chip Moody wrote:
    Don't associate Ethernet incompatibility with CAT5 wiring incompatibility. You can freely use a cable for connecting your PC to a network OR hooking up ICSNet devices - the cables are wired the same...

- Chip

You have to be careful, there do exist some patch cables constructed so that pins 1 & 3, and 2 & 6 are crossed. Also, there are some patch cables out there that only have 4 wires in them because most 10/100 ethernet only uses 4 wires.

Jeff
  • hodeyphodeyp Posts: 104
    cheers guys - bought a cat5e coupler and all working fine!