Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Windows 10 Upgrade Request ups its game.

DANG! The new "Upgrade to Windows 10" thing has really upped it's game. Yesterday, I say my Win 7 had downloaded a new update after needing to reboot for a driver upgrade. I quietly thought to myself "what now windows? what now?"
Here's the deal: I walked up to my machine this morning to find that the computer was in the act of upgrading without my clicking anything. I got to the part about accepting the license. I declined and it then had to "Uninstall" the update. It took it several minutes to back itself down. When I finally got back to Win 7 a lot of the personal settings were back to factory. If I lost any work files or app settings, I'm going to be hot.

Comments

• Options
    GregGGregG Posts: 251
    I think it slips the windows 10 upgrade in with the "recommended" windows 7 updates, so be on the watch for it.

Also I think that every time they update their installer, they seem to count it as a new and different "recommended" update, so any prior use of the ignore/hide function in windows update will not apply to the new version.
  • Options
    javery1javery1 Posts: 21
    They did say they would progressively up the priority of the upgrade.

I'm about to wipe clean and go back to 7. I couldn't get any work done last night because Windows 10 decided it was the perfect time to have Windows Defender scan the entire hard drive, then disk defragmenter run, then something else, then something else... All of them processes that if you tried to force quit, it tells you that killing the process will affect the stability of Windows, so instead of ending the one process, it will shut down the computer.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    In Windows 7+ one of the updates basically bypasses whatever settings you check for the updater. no matter what you set it to, it will till download and install updates. On my machine it is around 3AM. I suppose I could sleep/power down my laptop. but, then I have to wait for it to come up the next time and that's 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

Bottom line is I find this particular strategy very manipulative and inappropriate. If I had another option I would be mad enough right now to quite Windows altogether. But, for most my stuff that's not doable right now. I was annoyed by not ready to leave with the annoyware "Would you like to upgrade?" notices. But, to take control of my machine to try and force me to upgrade when I actually cannot work if I do is beyond the pale.

trust me, I do very often load Win 10 on my test machine and see how things are progressing and whether or not it is save for me to move. To date this is not possible as a good portion of the software I need to use for work does not function in Win 10.

that's not window's fault - i get that. But, this entirely new strategy for getting me to comply is not acceptable.
  • Options
    richardhermanrichardherman Posts: 389
    It's annoying, indeed...

Luckily there is an easy fix, Never10:

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

It's a very small program that does not install any software of its own and only makes a change to the policy editor and/or registry so that you won't be asked for the update again. This is a Microsoft approved way of doing it (go figure), also used for their enterprise customers. It wil also remove the already downloaded W10 blob.

• Options
    It's annoying, indeed...

Luckily there is an easy fix, Never10:

https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

It's a very small program that does not install any software of its own and only makes a change to the policy editor and/or registry so that you won't be asked for the update again. This is a Microsoft approved way of doing it (go figure), also used for their enterprise customers. It wil also remove the already downloaded W10 blob.

This looks like a good solution. However, one thing. Another thing that does come along with the Win 7/8 updates is normal garden variety bug fixes and security updates. To your knowledge, does this allow for those to come down? I'm guessing no.
  • Options
    richardhermanrichardherman Posts: 389
    Oh yes, it does allow normal updates to continue as usual. It ONLY blocks the W10 'upgrade', nothing else.
    I used it the day it came out and, so far, I have not seen the upgrade offer again. So far, so good...
  • Options
    Apparently this hit a lot of people recently:
  • Options
    bwestlakebwestlake Posts: 82
    I've been running Windows 10 since 12/8/2015 without any issues. The constant unsolicited updates are somewhat annoying but everything seems to work great. Even IREdit is working.
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    bwestlake wrote: »
    Even IREdit is working.

Can you cut and paste within an IR file? Can you export an IRL from an IRN database? These are where I have WIN10 (and WIN7) crash. It's better on 32 bit than on 64 bit Windows though.
  • Options
    John Nagy wrote: »

Can you cut and paste within an IR file? Can you export an IRL from an IRN database? These are where I have WIN10 (and WIN7) crash. It's better on 32 bit than on 64 bit Windows though.

This is one of the things that has not worked at all for me in Win10. I use the USB-UIRT IR capture unit and have to copy/paste into IR Edit. Not all Windows installs are the same. There seem to be subtle differences that are hardware based and whatnot. For example, I've found that for some reason, my install of Photoshop 7 doesn't work so well on my recently purchased Dell laptoop with New Egg loaded Win 7 Pro. It loads and sorta works. But some of the program's functions do not work. It's obviously issues with some Windows framework(s) (things like I cannot manipulate certain property menus.)

To me it's just the usual operating mode. I'm not an early adopter. I didn't even migrate to Windows 7 until Service Pack 2.
  • Options
    I've been running IREdit in Win10 without issues.

Just to be certain, I just tried each of these things and they work fine for me:

Copy/Paste IR functions within the files.
    Exported IRL from AMX IRN.
    Created new IR function by pasting in hex codes.

I'm running win10 enterprise x64, but I'm pretty sure this all works at home on win10 pro x64

• Options
    bwestlakebwestlake Posts: 82
    I'm not having any problems in IREdit. Everything works. It is WAY PAST TIME for AMX to update IREdit. This industry is difficult enough without having to struggle with outdated software. Infrared control is still a fact of life and I don't see it going away any time soon. Update the flipping software already!

Compatibility Mode is set for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)
    My Registry shows the following Dot Net Framework versions installed:
    v2.0.50727
    v3.0
    v3.5
    v4
    v4.0
  • Options
    I have had lots of issue's with TPDesign . I have been running Windows 10 and 7 on a Mac (Using Parallels 11) for the past year and its been great but the lastest Windows updates have made TPDesign 4 crash on win 10 after opening a page after about 10 seconds. And then in Win 7 changing a page flip to something and crash..

Not sure if its a Parallels thing or just windows. Have ask for help from my local AMX dealer but they cant help because i am running Parallels. (Not helpful).
  • Options
    pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    FWIW I had similar experience with TPD5 crashing if I didn't launch the app as Administrator. Checking the windows logs shows the crash has something to do with the toolbar handling modules (something that has historically been an issue with TPD4) as they are handled within the Visual C++ runtime.

I've raised a case with TS so if you are seeing something similar please let them know too so they don't have isolated cases to sort out.