Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Max auto rip?

Anyone know if it is possible to set the Max to autorip a CD from its local drive without having to use Winmax?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    I'm pretty sure you can't but you can control rip of CD/DVD from your touch panel if you use module furnished by AMX ;)

Vinc
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    As far as I know, these are your choices: WinMax, MDL-200, or touchpanel interface. The touchpanel interface uses MAX server commands; you could adapt your own interface from that if you were so inclined, but it does seem a bit like re-inventing the wheel.

I do have some advice about controlling your AVM's though: don't even bother using the panel interface for them. The implementation is absolutely horrible via server commands, which is how the AMX UI module works. For example, a keyboard ESC key toggles an on-screen transport bar, but if you use the server command to send an ESC key to the AVM, the transport bar will activate, but you cannot navigate in it, nor can you toggle it off. Ever. The arrow keys, via server commands, work the on-screen AVM, but not the DVD menu. Yet a keyboard directly in the AVM works both. I got so frustrated with it that I went out and bought a raft of PS2 IR mouse/keyboard controls, captured them, and am using IR instead of running everything through the server. Save server interactions for database operations, and control the AVM's IR, you will be happier.

If you are thinking about a MDL-200, beware of that as well. AMX is considering it a beta release, and it has lots of issues that can bite you in the butt. It works, but it's hardly a fully automated ripping solution in it's present state. I was ranting at tech support not very long ago about re-naming it to MDL-5, because that seemed to be the maximum number of DVD's it could rip without stalling for some reason or another. I've gotten it up to as many as 80-90 after some serious hand-holding, and can do that fairly consistently now that I know it's quirks, but it definitely needs some major polishing.
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    DHawthorne wrote:
    For example, a keyboard ESC key toggles an on-screen transport bar, but if you use the server command to send an ESC key to the AVM, the transport bar will activate, but you cannot navigate in it, nor can you toggle it off. Ever.
    I got bit by that one myself earlier this year. The only way to get rid of it is to have a keyboard plugged into the AVM and use the ESC key to toggle it off ? not a viable option to give a client. The next firmware upgrade for the AVMs is supposed to fix that but I don?t know when it?s going to be released.