Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Biamp Tesira heads-up.

Just a quick heads-up for anyone working wit a Biamp Tesira. As of June 2016 the new firmware comes with a new feature. By default the Telnet IP port is turned off. You will need to go into the settings on the Tesira (via the software) and make sure to turn it on. Otherwise you'll spend an hour trying to figure out why your once working module is struggling... Up to this point, that port was open by default. After speaking with an engineer at Biamp, I would also keep an eye out for the possibility of the control port moving over to the SSH port.

Comments

• Options
    You think they will eliminate telnet and SSH as their means for control over IP?
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    You think they will eliminate telnet and SSH as their means for control over IP?

Well, security and more importantly the various governing bodies/accreditations are finding that telnet is just to unsecured and vulnerable. I's harder to get into secure spaces with it. Since SSH is essentially the same basic communication type but adds encryption and mandatory login credentials, it's an obvious way to go. I can say I've been in two spaces where the Network Admin was blocking port 23. In both casSe rs232 was the solution. But m sure ll hit that wall at some point.
  • Options
    As if port scans and hacking on any other open port is significantly more trouble to a hacker than hacking on port 23? It makes sense to move off of 23, just to avoid the lowest common hacking denominator, but beyond that, port security is port security. Is port 20060 on a Sony, or port 3629 on an Epson, really any more or less secure than port 23 on a Tesira?

But thanks for the heads-up - I have a lot of Biamp products, Tesira Forte's and Nexias, being controlled over IP.
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    +1 on the futility of avoiding 23. We moved off 23 for a few jobs that were getting a ton of telnet hacker traffic... it helped for several hours before the botnet found the new port and resumed the attack.
  • Options
    John Nagy wrote: »
    ...it helped for several hours...

LOL! Funny, in a very sad way.