Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

NEC NP-PX803UL IP Control

Hey guys,

Does anyone have any experience controlling the NEC NP-PX803UL projector via IP? The Duet module yields EXTREMELY inconsistent control and it looks like I'll have to roll my own module. Only problem there is the user manual is unclear on how to control it IP...no mention of port to use, method, etc. And still waiting on info from NEC.

Any experience you might have or guidance here would be very helpful. I'm in the last week of a project and this is the final hurdle to overcome.

Many thanks!!!!

Comments

• Options
    The craptron module opens up a TCP socket on Port 7142. I'd start there with the RS-232 codes.
  • Options
    davidgdavidg Posts: 16
    Thanks Zack! Been running around like crazy and it didn't even occur to me to look at the module from the other guys to see how they're doing it. Cool. Thanks!
  • Options
    MLaletasMLaletas Posts: 226
    Ive only had to opportunity to do 232 with that series, always wanted to see how its IP connection worked.
  • Options
    David just out of curiosity did you try to get control through IP to the NEC?
  • Options
    Hey Matt!

I did end up getting a "working" module going for it. The projector was not terribly cooperative over IP so I had to put in a good deal of workarounds in the module to get it to behave. Mostly issues with not responding to anything but power on when off (which killed my usual heartbeat and initialization logic) and only sometimes allowing new connections, sometimes not. I can't say that I'm 100% confident in control of it due to the hardware issues themselves but what I ended up with is pretty close and seems to be pretty stable at the site.

I'd be happy to share with you what I have if you need it.
  • Options
    I built a module for it in my own standard, knowing it had IP control I sort of prepped that portion of it but never got to try it. I was curious because I knew you were about to use it. Next time I use one I'll try it out myself and I'll probably see what your talking about it
  • Options
    Sounds good. If/when you do use it, let me know if you'd like to see my module for reference.
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    Sometimes it's not a good use of time to avoid using a common and reliable Serial-over-IP adapter. We've loved life with DIGI-ONE's for a trouble free 10 years or more.
  • Options
    Thanks John, I agree! Not familiar with this product though. This just take traffic from a network IP connection and convert it into serial traffic to the 232 port? If so, man I wish I would have used this on my last job. Projector worked great through its 232 port.
  • Options
    Google "Digi One SP" and see one of many IP solutions for remote serial (not to forget GLOBAL CACHE's many adapters as well). AMX has one too, which I quite liked as it presents as a native device, but then it became clear it could not recall its baud settings after a power interruption. Insane. Being forced to arbitrarily re-initializate any time you actually need to send a command is unacceptable.
  • Options
    John Nagy wrote: »
    AMX has one too, which I quite liked as it presents as a native device, but then it became clear it could not recall its baud settings after a power interruption. Insane. Being forced to arbitrarily re-initializate any time you actually need to send a command is unacceptable.

Which AMX device are you referring to? EXB-COM2 or MP1? could you explain a bit more?

Richard

• Options

Which AMX device are you referring to? EXB-COM2 or MP1? could you explain a bit more?

Richard

Our experience was with the COM2, but the MP1 appears to be the same generation technology.
    Specifically, the unit defaults/boots to 9600 baud, 8,n,1. If it is set by your program to any other setting on initialization, as you do the netlinx ports, it only holds until the COM2 (and probably MP1) loses power or reboots otherwise. Then it's at 9600 again. NO BATTERY BACKUP for settings. The MP1 might have a battery to keep the IR alive, but I can't tell by the specs.

When we discovered this and reported it as a problem, AMX acted like we were crazy to think settings should tolerate reboots. I reminded them that -every-one- of the other many IP/Serial adapters from other vendors hold settings through power issues... silence...

We were forced to programmatically re-init the port at key times just to be sure it would work. However, re-init can cause glitches in some connected Serial devices. So... good luck. We're pretty happy with the DIGI-ONE SP.
  • Options
    Ah, thanks for the heads up. Have not used these EXB devices myself (did use I/O8 and REL8 a couple of times), but going to use them in a upcoming project.
    Although I does seem easy enough to just add a 'set baud' command in the 'online' event of the device, doesn't that work? That's basically the way every onboard com port gets it baud rate, isn't it?
  • Options
    Although I does seem easy enough to just add a 'set baud' command in the 'online' event of the device, doesn't that work? That's basically the way every onboard com port gets it baud rate, isn't it?

This is my method and have hardly had an issue (except for when I had a MP1 that a fellow programmer set to RS485 in code and caused it to lock up!)