Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

UI or code first?

So an interesting argument on the craptron Facebook group turned into a code or UI first. It seems as if I am in the minority in that particular group so I am interested to hear from this group what the general opinion was. Personally I am under the opinion to do code first and get that running efficiently and reliably and then UI. Not to diminish the UX for the user because it is obviously important, but in my opinion if you do that first it will inherently change how your is driven. Doing code first allows nearly any UI to be dropiped with little to no changes to the backend. So speak up opinions welcomed.

Comments

• Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368
    Sometimes the code drives the GUI design and sometimes the GUI design drives the code. I usually start with code and then create a GUI to fit the purpose of the code but then the GUI starts to dictate things from then on depending on what the code will allow me to do.
  • Options
    I almost always start with the GUI. End users aren't interested in your code at all, they just want something logical to happen when they do something on a user interface. I try to make the user experience a priority and adjust the code to make that happen.

Of cource, device drivers (modules) and other housekeeping code that has nothing to do with what the user sees, can be done at any time.
  • Options
    MLaletasMLaletas Posts: 226
    Valid points, and I agree with making the user experience priority. I don't know I've always done code first, UI then any small adjustments to the code based on the UI
  • Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    I've done it both ways, or both at the same time. I don't think there is a general rule that one way is better than another. To test your code you likely need a UI so they often get built in tandem. A UI is less flexible to create since humans have to use it, so I typically start with a UI then build up from there. I don't often start a project from scratch so its been a while since I've had to start with a blank page. Last time I did, I built the framework for the UI then added code as I added buttons to trigger the code.
    Paul
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    To me, coding before UI is like wiring before racking.
  • Options
    I tend to build component and subsystem overview pages as I just before starting the code even if it's a custom UI job where having to wait on the designer to finish the graphic design just as a visual checklist so as I progress thru the level of equipment and cross-system the code is written the navigation/workflow it grows together.
  • Options
    John Nagy wrote: »

Wow very surprising analogy. I certainly respect your guys opinion a bit more than on the other group. Still surprised though, I guess in the end it doesn't matter all that much assuming it's a well built system.
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    Interesting. To me it has more to do with scope and design first. They both drive coding and UI. I guess since I've had my UI for quite some time I tend to do both simultaneously. There are some core things that I happen to do that have to do with under-the-hood stuff that happens prior to doing any real UI work. (I have code/routines for saving settings/conditions to disk, stuff to communicate with other masters in the system, messages to phone home, etc...) But, once that's out of the way, I'm pretty much working on code and UI design simultaneously.
  • Options
    John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734
    MLaletas wrote: »

Wow very surprising analogy. I certainly respect your guys opinion a bit more than on the other group. Still surprised though, I guess in the end it doesn't matter all that much assuming it's a well built system.

To clarify my somewhat flippant post, I mean that I feel FUNCTION drives a project... a functional spec always precedes the engineering spec in project management. Good UI embodies the optimal interaction of the user with the function, and the code serves to provide that function.

When code comes first, the UI tends to be developed in service to the code, and can result in what Dilbert calls "INTERFACE POISONING"... for which there is no cure.
    We live around this problem when we must integrate a seriously two-way interface coded by manufacturers who spice their offering with the likes of multiple internal checksums, partial hex or binary masked command components, and insane handshakes.

• Options

To clarify my somewhat flippant post, I mean that I feel FUNCTION drives a project...

I believe this is very accurate. Code is not design and engineering. It is the result of it. Even the most Millerite code in the work belies some kind of design concept; usually the demented plans of the programmer. I remember working with a programmer once who designed his interface so the each 'thing' in the system had it's own discrete page for control. The client complained that it was hard to control their classroom due to all the page flips to get stuff started. (you know, go to the projector page - power up, go to the screen page - deply, go to the room monitors page, power them up, etc...)

I had a discussion with him about the notion of putting all those controls on a single page to control the room. The idea seemed silly to him. "Why would anyone want to do that? That makes no sense..."

When I looked at the client's scope of work all it said was the 'the ability to control the room" Well, there ya go.
  • Options
    I almost always get the UI down first before I do anything else.

That said, I try as much as possible to stick to the model-view-controller way of doing things so in the end it doesn't matter what UI (view) I'm using or what devices (models) I'm using, as it's all getting tied together in the Main (controller) anyway.
  • Options
    viningvining Posts: 4,368

In my way of thinking I want to know what I can do before I start making buttons and designs based on what I think I can do. Once I understand the device and what it can do and what the code will allow me to do I can I then create a GUI and as that GUI develops I'm also getting more familiar with what I can do with code and then what else I'd like to do with the GUI.

To me creating a GUI before writing code is like racking a system before having a client. ;) I guess it really depends on what type of device you're programming and how well you know the device before you start to work on the GUI or code. I learn the device by writing the code for it and what it can do dictates what I put on the screen so for me I need to know the device before I start working on a GUI based on assumptions.
  • Options
    vining wrote: »

In my way of thinking I want to know what I can do before I start making buttons and designs based on what I think I can do. Once I understand the device and what it can do and what the code will allow me to do I can I then create a GUI and as that GUI develops I'm also getting more familiar with what I can do with code and then what else I'd like to do with the GUI.

To me creating a GUI before writing code is like racking a system before having a client. ;) I guess it really depends on what type of device you're programming and how well you know the device before you start to work on the GUI or code. I learn the device by writing the code for it and what it can do dictates what I put on the screen so for me I need to know the device before I start working on a GUI based on assumptions.

Vinning, I think you encapsulated my thoughts better than I did. I suppose when I say I work simultaneously on GUI and Code I really meant something similar to what you said. I typically have the GUI in my head already thought through. I tend to code to that vision first. Then I create the GUI to work with the code. I think the drive to work this way is along the lines of what you said about the pain of creating all the buttons and graphics. Part of what drives this is due to the fact that I do almost all my UI navigation from code. The only time I use the panel's built-in navigation is for "Are You Sure?" warnings or stuff like that. This is an interesting discussion.
  • Options
    For some reason I am under the impression that if I do UI first it will dictate how my code works, and I do not like feeling. I expressed this on the Crestron group and it seemed people reacted with saying that the client does care about the code underneath they only care about the UI. Which I completely agree with I would never give a bad user experience. But even still code is honestly the most important in my mind, whats the point if you have the most beautiful modern UI if the code underneath is clunky, buggy, and problematic. Im sure the user would agree they would rather have an ugly or archaic looking UI if it works all the time perfectly. I am not insinuating to provide them a crappy UI but I do feel code is very important. For that reason I code first make sure make sure I have everything running efficiently, have all my hooks in place, logic is sound and then I introduce UI and make the small adjustments as need be for that specific project. Occasionally I will complete the DSP file first and then code, or do them sorta together I guess just depends on my mood.

As far as navigation is concerned I agree I have everything running off code, the only things I do not include is momentary buttons that do not need any logic behind them I will let the TP handle those buttons that dont require anything more than that.
  • Options
    MLaletas wrote: »
    For some reason I am under the impression that if I do UI first it will dictate how my code works, and I do not like feeling. I expressed this on the ******** group and it seemed people reacted with saying that the client does care about the code underneath they only care about the UI. Which I completely agree with I would never give a bad user experience. But even still code is honestly the most important in my mind, whats the point if you have the most beautiful modern UI if the code underneath is clunky, buggy, and problematic. Im sure the user would agree they would rather have an ugly or archaic looking UI if it works all the time perfectly. I am not insinuating to provide them a crappy UI but I do feel code is very important. For that reason I code first make sure make sure I have everything running efficiently, have all my hooks in place, logic is sound and then I introduce UI and make the small adjustments as need be for that specific project. Occasionally I will complete the DSP file first and then code, or do them sorta together I guess just depends on my mood.

As far as navigation is concerned I agree I have everything running off code, the only things I do not include is momentary buttons that do not need any logic behind them I will let the TP handle those buttons that dont require anything more than that.

I feel this whole discussion is pretty subjective. Which is the better approach depends on what's going on. But, I do feel that Programming and UI design are both fruit harvested from the same plant. Both code and UI are born from someone's concept and plan of how the thing should work. I honestly feel programming is not so much math or science as it is merely interpreting a conversation fro one language (concept) to another (Implementation)

I do know many programmers who do not think this way. To them code is some kind of mystical place that owes nothing to the world around it. That belief shows up in their UI designs as being difficult for the client to use. They're not stupid. They just don't have the intimate knowledge of how the code works. The relationship sours further as the same coder becomes frustrated and condescending to the client. The client loses faith and trust in the programmer who seemingly cannot do a simple task.

I've been doing this a long long time. The hardest lesson for me to learn over the years is UI. the only metric that counts on how I'm doing in this regard is how the client reacts. I'm kind of to that point where I almost never get any complaints or confusion. I cannot and must not attribute this trend to me becoming an awesome programmer. In fairness, I've just become a better interpreter.
  • Options
    ericmedley wrote: »
    I feel this whole discussion is pretty subjective.
    Absolutely subjective agreed, and assuming each step is done well I guess the order does not necessarily matter.
    To them code is some kind of mystical place that owes nothing to the world around it. That belief shows up in their UI designs as being difficult for the client to use.
    I hope that is not how I am coming off. I care about UI very much I do want it to be easy to use, streamline, and pretty. I love automating things that gets the client smiling. I also care about the backend quite a bit, because client care about their system working consistently and dont particularly like rebooting processors because the programmer isnt managing the code properly.
    I cannot and must not attribute this trend to me becoming an awesome programmer. In fairness, I've just become a better interpreter.
    I like that line thats pretty good. Ive worked in resi for 10+ years and now in commercial for 3 and maybe have only had a couple complaints and/or confusion on the UI, which I balked up and fixed, Im not perfect all the time.
  • Options
    I always start out with the coding, but my process is to code for all the basic device communications and basic device control first, which have almost no impact on UI design. Then I work on the UI, and work on and specific switching / functionality and panel design, together, until I've got it running.