Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion
Options

gmail smtp issue

Does anyone use gmail for smtp? We have it setup for a client and it will text our phones but it stopped working Tuesday. Diagnostics show it fails to connect. I thought it was just our client maybe blocking the port but I tried it from my ni-700 at home and still same issue. I then tried my gmail account and get the same connect failure. Using TLS to connect. Allow less secure apps is on.

Comments

• Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    This is one of those 'moving target' issues that has plagued us for a long time. When one of the email server providers makes some kind of change we suddenly find ourselves with 40-50-100 systems that all need some service to get the email thing back online. I'm telling old stories over and over again I know... but I used to keep a master in my office that was the central hub for all my systems. One of the many things it did was relay emails from the masters to my internal smtp server - which I could always guaranty would work and if it did need changing, I only had one point of failure and it could be corrected easily.

the obvious downside to this is having to maintain the box as well as what do you do with systems that are orphaned or clients who go away? In the cases where I could do something about it, I would make sure to set them back to their own smtp server and bid them farewell.

I will say that whenever I try using GMail, it always needs work later as they change their setting a lot. I suppose they need to to deal with the spam.
  • Options
    zack.boydzack.boyd Posts: 94
    My gmail links dropped about 6 months ago and I've been unable to get it to work(though truly I've yet to really try to hard). I have it only on my desk system for testy stuff, but use our corporate server when needing to do real things.
  • Options
    a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624
    I had it working a couple of months ago with Gmail but had to set a variable in my Gmail account allowing messages from "insecure apps" ...lol. "Security" is now being used as a way to create incompatibilities between vendors. I haven't tried it recently, so maybe mine's broken too. If I get a chance to try it out I'll post the results here.
    Paul
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    a_riot42 wrote: »
    ...lol. "Security" is now being used as a way to create incompatibilities between vendors.
    Paul
    Ha! I remember sitting through a meeting at one of the companies I was working for (software engineer) where I was warning about how much we were relying upon 'leveraging' other software companies technology to deliver our product and being batted back as a worry wart. I think I told them that the concept of leveraging seemed to suffer from the notion that other companies didn't have a sales department who a) had no clue what we were doing and b) had full control of the direction of the company.

• Options
    undrtkrundrtkr Posts: 35
    So the next day after my initial post gmail smtp just decided to magically work. LOL. I would use the clients internal smtp service but was told by our other programmer that wrote the code that they use..........you guessed it! GMAIL!

LOL, oh well. When it breaks again at least I can tell them to wait to see if it fixes itself or be SOL.