Home AMX General Discussion

Sharp Aqous RS232 query

KennyKenny Junior MemberPosts: 209
I have several 70" Aquos Sharp displays that give me errors when I ask for status of volume, mute and input. The power status returns the correct info.
Has anyone seen this? The model is LC70LE661U.
Also it seems that the RSPW1 command does not stick. We even set the Quick Start mode. We have called Sharp but they were of no help. We installed the latest FW too.
Thanks.

Comments

  • feddxfeddx Junior Member Posts: 141
    Are you controlling these these 232 or IP? If it's IP, on some models you need to use the command RSPW2, not RSPW1. If the sharp hasn't gotten the power sense command, it will not recognize the commands in the off state, and even still, if it is off, it may give you errors for input, volume and mute state when it is off.

    And the Sharp folks are tricky. They change format on their commands from time to time. We deal a lot with the LCXXLE661U, and on this model I use the "'POWR1[SP][SP][SP]',$13" command for power on, and "'POWR?[SP][SP][SP]',$13" for query (where [SP] = 1 space). A few years ago most of the models were using the "'POWR[SP][SP][SP]1',$13" command for power on, and "'POWR????',$13" for query.

    Still the Sharps will do things like report power is off when it is in fact on, and all sorts of madness. I hope I have helped.
  • Danny CampbellDanny Campbell Senior Member Posts: 311
    To add to what feddx said - I've noticed that some of the LC-70LE models take about 15 seconds after you turn it on before they will start accepting commands. I poll for the power state every 2 seconds, but when I process the initial power on command I have a 15 second wait and after the 15 seconds are up I set a flag to indicate that it should actually be on. If after 15 seconds it is still showing an off state I resend the power on command. After that it will start responding properly.

    These models that I have worked with recently take the version of the command that has the spaces at the end. Be sure that you have enough spaces to pad out the 8-byte command field before you send the CR.

    This is all kind of convoluted, but it seems to work.
  • MLaletasMLaletas Junior Member Posts: 226
    It seems with the recent consumer displays they have been using the padding method of number first then spaces. The pro ones seem to be 0s in front then number. As far as the rspw1 command that's a little weird, you need quick start mode on with all the new ones, which seems like you did already. Send the rspw1 command when it's on and thats it, it's not rocket science. If it's not sticking the you might have a panel problem.
  • ericmedleyericmedley Senior Member - 4000+ posts Posts: 4,177
    MLaletas wrote: »
    It seems with the recent consumer displays they have been using the padding method of number first then spaces. The pro ones seem to be 0s in front then number. As far as the rspw1 command that's a little weird, you need quick start mode on with all the new ones, which seems like you did already. Send the rspw1 command when it's on and thats it, it's not rocket science. If it's not sticking the you might have a panel problem.

    I've had to write my Sharp control module to deal with the Consumer vs. Pro models. The first thing tt does is look for the status error and then assumes which kind of panel we're dealing with. I've found that integrators usually just spec in a Sharp display and don't really pay much attention beyond that. Then when it comes time to order - they see what's on sale that week and pull the switch.

    I know that it's going to be one or the other. I don't much care which now that my module just figures it out for me.

    I highly recommend this approach.

  • MLaletasMLaletas Junior Member Posts: 226
    ericmedley wrote: »

    I've had to write my Sharp control module to deal with the Consumer vs. Pro models. The first thing tt does is look for the status error and then assumes which kind of panel we're dealing with.
    In my module I specify if its a pro or not and then the type of padding (0's in front or back, spaces in front or back). Then a function builds the string according to the correct padding. However what I do not have is what you mentioned about setting it based on the response you get. I guess I never paid much mind to the exact syntax of the status error, I do know that most of the pro's use a CR LF at the end of their response, and the consumers just have a CR. You dont have to share the code but do you mind showing the delination between the two? I would love to implement that in mine.

  • ericmedleyericmedley Senior Member - 4000+ posts Posts: 4,177
    MLaletas wrote: »
    In my module I specify if its a pro or not and then the type of padding (0's in front or back, spaces in front or back). Then a function builds the string according to the correct padding. However what I do not have is what you mentioned about setting it based on the response you get. I guess I never paid much mind to the exact syntax of the status error, I do know that most of the pro's use a CR LF at the end of their response, and the consumers just have a CR. You dont have to share the code but do you mind showing the delination between the two? I would love to implement that in mine.

    it is the Consumer Model that throws an error when you request the panel info. So, the module starts assuming it is a Pro model. If the info request fails it falls over the the Consumer. But, your way seems to work as well.
  • MLaletasMLaletas Junior Member Posts: 226
    Awesome, so just to confirm are you using the INF1 query?
  • ericmedleyericmedley Senior Member - 4000+ posts Posts: 4,177
    MLaletas wrote: »
    Awesome, so just to confirm are you using the INF1 query?

    I'm not in front of my machine at the moment. But, that does indeed seem right.
Sign In or Register to comment.