Options

New forum, who’s still alive out there?

2»

Comments

• Options
    amdpoweramdpower Posts: 110

Still kickin!

• Options

Still here. The Facebook group helped a little.

• Options
    MLaletasMLaletas Posts: 226

@bwestlake said:
    Still here. The Facebook group helped a little.

Yea but lets be real its nothing like it is here, or at least was, at least now we can reference old stuff again.

• Options

@MLaletas said:
    Yea but lets be real its nothing like it is here, or at least was, at least now we can reference old stuff again.

For Sure

• Options

I found out due to an email about a comment on a subscribed thread as well....
    glad to see the forum is back up and running!

• Options

yup still here...............

• Options
    robswidrobswid Posts: 14

yep

• Options
    banobano Posts: 173

HERE!

• Options
    TUTechTUTech Posts: 70

Present!!

• Options
    mushmush Posts: 287

• Options
    trobertstroberts Posts: 228

Hello

• Options

Holy S***...it's finally back! Still here.

• Options

Thanks to be back!

• Options

I checked on a lark, 'cause there was no way it would be back up right...?

• Options

Present. Just wish there were more systems being sold to use our language.
    Last employer restructured and was laid off due to lack of work in Calgary...

It appears Extron is now using Python 3.3 to program systems; makes it a little easier.
    Glad to see they are making an effort to improve programming resources

• Options

@J Donachiue said:

It appears Extron is now using Python 3.3 to program systems; makes it a little easier.

I absolutely prefer to program in python compared to netlinx. That said, AMXs software tools are light years ahead of where Extron is at right now.

Developing a touch panel interface from scratch with Extron is a painful experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

• Options

@TonyAngelo said:

@J Donachiue said:

I absolutely prefer to program in python compared to netlinx. That said, AMXs software tools are light years ahead of where Extron is at right now.

Developing a touch panel interface from scratch with Extron is a painful experience that I wouldn't wish on anyone.

Oh boy, for a moment I thought I posted that! couldn't agree more.

Due to a lack of market confidence in AMX' future our company was looking for another main programming language. I took Extron Global Scripter for an extended testdrive and really love ControlScript / Python (now based on 3.5). It's really more up to the task of programming with things like HTTP, JSON or XML and all drivers are open source which is so great when you want to expand on a basic driver or change some little thing due to a device misbehaving.

But... Like you said, the tools are really lacking. Global Scripter (the IDE) is far from great, you are almost forced to program in an external editor (Visual Studio Code is great, and open source) if you want basic features like syntax checking (linting) or autocomplete, reducing the IDE to uploader/debugger.

I really came to appreciate the quality of TPDesign4 when working with Extron GUI Designer. Like you said that's a painful experience and for what? it probably has 10% of the features of TPDesign and even that it doesn't do really well. I have teethmarks on the edge of my desk because of this...

It is still relatively young, so maybe the ecosystem will grow. Then again, nothing much happened with the tools for about a year, so maybe not.

My employer decided he didn't want me invest time to 'fight' with programming tools, no matter how great the language may be, so I'm back to AMX (never gone, really) for the bulk of our projects.

It feels a little (maybe more than a little) old fashioned, but usually I'm able to do more in less time and probably that's all employers and customers are looking for. We'll see where AMX can take us.

• Options

Made it back and had a laugh reviewing the 'most recent' posts in some of the sections. Some of those recently added modules are for devices that already died.....

• Options
    KenKen Posts: 19

New user just in time for the new forum.

I just started as AMX programmer a few months ago and I was very happy when I found the forum. I have limited access to training and fellow programmers so this forum is greatly appreciated.

• Options

Yup, still lurking.

• Options
    gregrgregr Posts: 54

I found the revived forum by chance on a Google search! Glad to see it lives again, but I could wish we would have been notified somehow...Maybe I'm asking too much here.

• Options

Let's all switch names and confuse the new guy!

• Options
    Yepp! Back too! Great to have such helpful exchanges 😊

Grettings from Switzerland
  • Options
    feddxfeddx Posts: 175

Estoy aqui ahora.

• Options

It has already proved useful to me!