LG TV's IP control

2»

Comments

• richardhermanrichardherman not-so-junior member Posts: 232

@sentry07 said:
    I finally found out that there is a secret installation menu in the displays we were using
    LG Installation Menu:
    https://www.lg.com/in/support/product-help/CT32003428-20150309396894-others

Thanks for that. Because sooner or later that link will disappear:

• Hold the settings button on the remote for 5 seconds,
    • When 'Input ID' is displayed (on top right corner) then enter password (default password is 0000) and press OK,
    • When installation menu is displayed, select 'Signage setup',
    • In 'Signage setup' option select 'Wake On Lan' option. Set the value to ON
  • kmkorfkmkorf Junior Member Posts: 17

@sentry07 said:
    I know it's kind of late now, but I just dealt with this last week. After much fighting with the LG Displays and asking IT if they were blocking WOL packets and such, I finally found out that there is a secret installation menu in the displays we were using, and in the secret menu there was a setting for "Enable WakeOnLan" and after that was enabled I could turn the TVs on via WOL. After the TVs are on, you could control them via TCP port 9761 with the usual LG protocol:
    ka 00 00 // power off
    xb 00 90 // hdmi 1
    xb 00 91 // hdmi 2

The network guy danced a jig around me when we found that menu because he had been racking his brain trying to figure out what in their network switches would be blocking it. I tried both the local broadcast (192.168.0.255) and the global broadcast (255.255.255.255) addresses on UDP port 9 and both worked. 6 bytes of $FF followed by the MAC address 16 times.

"$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$FF,$00,$0C,$7F,$10,$FA,$EB,$00,$0C,$7F,$10,$FA,$EB,$00,$0C,$7F,$10,$FA,$EB..."

LG Installation Menu:
    https://www.lg.com/in/support/product-help/CT32003428-20150309396894-others

What model display were you working with? Was it the commercial TVs? I've got some commercial displays and have the WOL working but it seems on the commercial displays the 9761 port is closed but there is a whole section in the setup menu for C*******.

• sentry07sentry07 Junior Member Posts: 71

Uhh, drawings show 49UX340C. I don't remember if that's what they were. But they did have the Roomview Connected stuff in the setup menu as well. Port 9761 worked out of the box as long as they were powered on. If they're off, you get nothing.

• ProgressiveCodeProgressiveCode Junior Member Posts: 64
    edited April 2019

This thread has very helpful information. Thank you. I have successfully gotten the TV to Wake On LAN with my program, but I can not get it to respond to any of these Power Off commands:
    "'ka 00 00',$0D"
    "'ka 0 0',$0D"
    "'POWER off',$0D"

Tried all of the above both with and without "Network IP Control" enabled in the hidden setup menu.
    I think what is probably a big clue is that when I try to open the connection to port 9761 with IP_CLIENT_OPEN my result is an ONERROR event with error code 6.

Error code 6 is: "Connection Refused (IP_CLIENT_OPEN) - The specified host does not have a server socket listening on the requested port and therefore refused the connection."

So what this means to me is that maybe LG is now using a port other than their old port of 9761? If so, does anyone have any suggestions of other ports to try (other than 23, which also didn't work)? Any other ideas?

• fogled@mizzou[email protected] h4x354x0r Posts: 549

Might as well port scan it. Don't forget there's a second 'hidden' settings menu for turning on IP control, separate from the hidden menu to turn on WoL.

• crhamlincrhamlin Junior Member Posts: 1

I'm currently dealing with a 86UU340C that seems to WOL just fine, but no other controls... Port scanned revealed...
    Discovered open port 9001/tcp on 192.168.1.107
    Discovered open port 10002/tcp on 192.168.1.107
    Discovered open port 9998/tcp on 192.168.1.107
    Discovered open port 3000/tcp on 192.168.1.107
    Discovered open port 10000/tcp on 192.168.1.107
    Discovered open port 3001/tcp on 192.168.1.107
    So no 9761 :(
    Apparently 3000 & 3001 are LG Smart TV http service and 9998 is Google Chromecast.

• Has anyone completely figured this out? I have enabled IP Control and I can connect via port 9761, but as otherS have posted, as soon as I send a command I get a Connection closed notice. Does the generated KeyCode come in to play, somehow? Any help would be appreciated.

• > @jfmonier said:
    > I've been working with RS-232 control on LG TV's for years now, including newer models with the mini phone jack. (Note that some or all of the newest models no longer have the phone jack, but they still have IP control but with a catch: IP control apparently is, and has been, only available on US models, and that means NOT available in the rest of the world including Canada.) So I have RS-232 working in every day use on a variety of models going back 10 years (including a B6 OLED and a UH610A non-OLED).
    >
    > So far, there has been no urgency for me to get IP control working since RS-232 works fine. But now I have a new UK6300 that does not have the RS-232 mini-jack.
    >
    > I had already managed to send individual IP commands successfully, so I can point out one thing. The whole protocol for IP control is TOTALLY different from RS-232. (And I tried the RS-232 protocol with out success.) It IS documented, but it can be hard to find. It is pages 34-37 of a 48 page manual that covers the UH series. But here's the problem: Most manuals that are available on the Internet (especially on LG sites) do NOT have these pages (even when they DO have the pages on RS-232 control). I don't even remember how I found this so it make take some effort to find it.
    >
    > I can set up my new UK6300 for IP control using the same method as always, with one exception. I saw the same "generate keycode" button mentioned above. I have no idea how this would fit into the protocol and I'm not looking forward to figuring it out.
    >
    > I'll try to report on further progress.

Hey I'm new here...and a total noob when it comes to all this that u guys are talking about. However I have some programming experience so I thought I would give this a try...especially bcuz LG kinda gave me no other choice. I bought an LG OLED C7...literally a few months before they announced their next models that came with Google assistant. I held out hope that the previous year's models might get the upgrade but that never came.

I have automated a whole bunch of things around my house...all of them can be controlled by Google assistant. So I was wondering if u could help me...(if it's something possible with my C7). I know it is possible to power on/off the TV, control volume/mute/unmute, and change the HDMI input. However I would like to take it a step further...I wanna be able to do those things by issuing commands to Google assistant.

I've seen it done with Logitech Harmony...but with that approach Harmony acts as a middleman of sorts. I wanna be able to say a command that triggers some RS-232 protocol(or it's IP equivalent) and the TV then carries out that command.

Has anyone here ever tried this? Can it be done?
  • > @jfmonier said:
    > I've been working with RS-232 control on LG TV's for years now, including newer models with the mini phone jack. (Note that some or all of the newest models no longer have the phone jack, but they still have IP control but with a catch: IP control apparently is, and has been, only available on US models, and that means NOT available in the rest of the world including Canada.) So I have RS-232 working in every day use on a variety of models going back 10 years (including a B6 OLED and a UH610A non-OLED).
    >
    > So far, there has been no urgency for me to get IP control working since RS-232 works fine. But now I have a new UK6300 that does not have the RS-232 mini-jack.
    >
    > I had already managed to send individual IP commands successfully, so I can point out one thing. The whole protocol for IP control is TOTALLY different from RS-232. (And I tried the RS-232 protocol with out success.) It IS documented, but it can be hard to find. It is pages 34-37 of a 48 page manual that covers the UH series. But here's the problem: Most manuals that are available on the Internet (especially on LG sites) do NOT have these pages (even when they DO have the pages on RS-232 control). I don't even remember how I found this so it make take some effort to find it.
    >
    > I can set up my new UK6300 for IP control using the same method as always, with one exception. I saw the same "generate keycode" button mentioned above. I have no idea how this would fit into the protocol and I'm not looking forward to figuring it out.
    >
    > I'll try to report on further progress.

Hi, I'm new here. I've never really done this sort of thing before...but I do have some programming experience. I bought an LG OLED C7 TV a couple months before they announced their next models that came with Google assistant. I held out hope that they might roll out an update to include it in the previous year's models but that never came. So I decided to look into it myself.

What I would like to do is issue commands(whether IP or RS232...whichever makes it possible for me to achieve what I'm trying to do)...
    - To remotely power the TV on and off
    - To control the volume(up/down) and mute/unmute
    - To change the HDMI input

From what I have gathered by reading online is that the above is possible. However what I would like to do is take it a step further and be able to do this with Google assistant. As in I say some voice command...which then triggers an RS232 command and the TV performs that action. It would be really handy since I've automated a bunch of things around the house, which can all be controlled with Google assistant. I know it can be done with the Logitech Harmony Hub...but I don't wanna take that route unless there is no other choice.

Has anyone ever tried this? Did it work? Or is it even possible to do with that specific model?
  • HARMAN_icraigieHARMAN_icraigie Technical Trainer II, Harman Professional University Posts: 500

@NewGuy said:

Hi, I'm new here. I've never really done this sort of thing before...but I do have some programming experience. I bought an LG OLED C7 TV a couple months before they announced their next models that came with Google assistant. I held out hope that they might roll out an update to include it in the previous year's models but that never came. So I decided to look into it myself.

What I would like to do is issue commands(whether IP or RS232...whichever makes it possible for me to achieve what I'm trying to do)...

• To remotely power the TV on and off
    • To control the volume(up/down) and mute/unmute
    • To change the HDMI input

From what I have gathered by reading online is that the above is possible. However what I would like to do is take it a step further and be able to do this with Google assistant. As in I say some voice command...which then triggers an RS232 command and the TV performs that action. It would be really handy since I've automated a bunch of things around the house, which can all be controlled with Google assistant. I know it can be done with the Logitech Harmony Hub...but I don't wanna take that route unless there is no other choice.

Has anyone ever tried this? Did it work? Or is it even possible to do with that specific model?

NetLinx can be made accessible from a SmartThings gateway and your Google Assistant account is bridged in the cloud
    https://proforums.harman.com/amx/discussion/comment/193503#Comment_193503

• > @HARMAN_icraigie said:
    > (Quote)
    > NetLinx can be made accessible from a SmartThings gateway and your Google Assistant account is bridged in the cloud
    > https://proforums.harman.com/amx/discussion/comment/193503#Comment_193503

Could u point me to some sort of a more specific tutorial of some kind? I've never done this sort of thing with a TV before. Sry for basic questions I'm a noob.
  • HARMAN_icraigieHARMAN_icraigie Technical Trainer II, Harman Professional University Posts: 500

@NewGuy said:

@HARMAN_icraigie said:
    (Quote)
    NetLinx can be made accessible from a SmartThings gateway and your Google Assistant account is bridged in the cloud
    https://proforums.harman.com/amx/discussion/comment/193503#Comment_193503

Could u point me to some sort of a more specific tutorial of some kind? I've never done this sort of thing with a TV before. Sry for basic questions I'm a noob.

Not much online other than that thread wrt to integrating NetLinx specifically. The SmartThings developer forums might be a place to go. There is some content soon to be published up on the Harman Professional University website reviewing MQTT and I'm looking at the SmartThings topic as a possible video series in the future.

• NewGuyNewGuy Posts: 4
    edited November 2019
    > @HARMAN_icraigie said:
    > (Quote)
    > Not much online other than that thread wrt to integrating NetLinx specifically. The SmartThings developer forums might be a place to go. There is some content soon to be published up on the Harman Professional University website reviewing MQTT and I'm looking at the SmartThings topic as a possible video series in the future.

So far I've been unable to add it as a "device" in the smartthings IDE. I even tried adding it manually and it didn't work. If someone can tell me how to do so...that would be great. The TV I have is an LG OLED C7.

@NewGuy said:

@HARMAN_icraigie said:
    (Quote)
    Not much online other than that thread wrt to integrating NetLinx specifically. The SmartThings developer forums might be a place to go. There is some content soon to be published up on the Harman Professional University website reviewing MQTT and I'm looking at the SmartThings topic as a possible video series in the future.

So far I've been unable to add it as a "device" in the smartthings IDE. I even tried adding it manually and it didn't work. If someone can tell me how to do so...that would be great. The TV I have is an LG OLED C7.

In the example NetLinx controls the TV and is a bridge to the SmartThings service. The NetLinx is added as an app at the SmartThings IDE if I remember correctly. The code shown in the link is both NetLinx and Groovy (SmartThings) to allow for this connection.