Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio

Current Weather Sources and/or Modules?

So, it's been quite some time since I've had a reason to mess with AMX and weather, maybe the original i!Weather and yahoo days actually. Thinking about adding weather back onto the panel on my desk, but from a quick browse through not-so-recent posts it seems like lots has changes with respect to available working sources, etc. Doesn't seem to be much discussion of such in the last couple years, so I figured I'd ask before I bother digging in too deep.... Is there a current source that everyone prefers, maybe an updated module you're using now? Or maybe you've all decided to let the weather thing die off?

Comments

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734

We've used weather images offered by local TV station websites, in dynamic image popups. There are fewer we can use these days as they are increasingly file formats we can't display, but there remain a good selection for most larger markets. They update daily or more often without our effort.

edited April 2019

I should add that we've seen a big decline in interest in current weather conditions on the panel. I think because it is so convenient on phones now. But a look at the week ahead like the image above is still popular on panels for us. I have it as the timeout page in my master bathroom 7" panel... and the motion sense turns on the panel backlight... so I have an automatic nightlight AND a look at what's coming if I'm up in the night.

• matt95gsrmatt95gsr Posts: 165

Thanks, John. Very insightful. I've always worked in the commercial space, and only ever had a couple customers over the years that had any desire for weather so it's not a big deal for me. Just for some reason had the inclination to look briefly into it again, but perhaps it's a wasted effort.

• viningvining Posts: 4,368

I still like to use coded weather module but in resi there are more reasons for them. I just updated my module for a headless resi system I'm doing so I can use weather parameters to help with Lutron/HAI heating/cooling logic and snow melt. In the past I've used them to control awnings when high wind gusts or rain are predicted and to control Lutron shades and drapes to take advantage of or mitigate solar gain depending on the season when no one is home. I don't really see a need to put them on TPs anymore since they're usually iPads anyway.

Now THAT'S INTEGRATION!