Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

G3 B/W panel issue

Hello All
This is an issue that I noticed some time back and thought it had been taken care of. I have a G3 B/W panel(v 5.2) and when I tried to download the file via studio it crashes the panel. I always get an 'out of memory' warning then when I touch the panel it resets the panel clean. I tried this a few times just to make sure it wasn't a network glitch. I checked the panel memory and I still have some left for the file(according to TP3). When I load the panel using TP3 via the Axlink it works fine. It would appear to me that there is some extra overhead that studio is adding to the file that causes it to exceed the panels memory.
Before anyone asks here is the config.
1- Axcent III in slave mode.
1- NI-700 master
1- AXB-VOL3
1- AXU-MLC
I took the Axcent III out of slave mode to load the panel. Put it back into slave mode and the system works fine. I have the file if anyone is up to testing this out.

Comments

• Options
    I thought G3 downloads through NetLinx masters were known to be problematic - or am I thinking of the modem issue?

What about running a 232 cable to the back of the panel and getting the fastest download avaiable?

- Chip
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    The TP3 memory use meter is broken. You most likely really are running out of memory, no matter what TP3 says. Furthermore, as I recall (I may be mistaken), newer G3 panels have more memory than the original series, and the B/W models would fall squarely in the "older" category. If you are getting an out-of-memory message, you really are out of memory.

Delete any fonts, icons, and bitmaps you aren't using in the project. Consider changing out some fonts you may only be using in a few spots. Try to consolidate some screens - for example, instead of having three different screens for 3 VCR's (yah, I know, but it's just an example :)), put them all on one and use code to track which device gets the control signal. Get rid of estoteric pages that do things like setup and menu controls that are only accessed rarely - let them drag out the original remote for those times.

Since the advent of G4, I have gotten very spoiled in terms of what I can put on a panel and do with it, but the times I need to use an old G3 (especially the original Viewpoint, which, despite it's shortcomings, is still a solid little panel), I have learned that the sparser, the better.
  • Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Yes, you are correct Chip. I have experience download issues before with G3 and studio but then it seemed to get resolved with one of the updated version. Looks like the issuse is back. Like I mentiond before it would appear that studio is adding or modifying the file format enough to increase the size of the file. Before I had issues loading bitmaps.
  • Options
    Hi Dave
    I would say that the panel file is to large except that it does load perfectly using TP3 and the axlink from the axcent III (in master mode). This is truely a studio issue.
  • Options
    I have seen this with the B/W panels since Studio 1.

It seems to me that TPD3 is allocating the icons/fonts/bmp's according to actual use, where studio seems to allocate a fixed amount of memory for each.

I will usually try to upload via RS232 direct to the panel via TPD3(if possible).
  • Options
    This could very well be the issue because the panel hanged at the same location while downloading the icons. I have been able to get it to work with a completely stripped down TP file.

P.S. Bryan, the next time your in town drop by for lunch, my treat.
  • Options
    Because of the abysmally slow load times with Axlink, I avoid at all costs uploading full panel files with Studio. However, when you have a job with a bunch of CP-4s (for example), you don't want to pull each one out of the wall for every little update either. So I make my initial load directly with TPD3, and have Studio set to only send page and button info without any fonts, icons, or bitmaps. It's still slow, but a good sight faster than the whole deal, and you should avoid this problem as well.
  • Options
    I am 100% with dave there... That's the way to do it, in my book, IMHO... If you add a font, bitmap or icon after your initial load, then you have to suffer through several long updates, or pull the stuff out of the wall and break out the 232 cable again. :)

But wall panel or tilt, I almost always do at LEAST the initial load over 232 - I don't have the patience to do it over Axlink.

- Chip
  • Options
    Yes you?re both correct in the way that you should load the G3 panels to help speed things up etc. However the original post was about not the best way to load it but that there is a bug with studio when it comes to B/W panels.

** It should also be noted that I use studio to download my G3 colour (color)
    panels without any issues.**

**P.S.** I really do appreciate the help and insight given by all. The forums is an excellent way for all to get new ideas, share their thoughts on AMX (and other) related issues and even learn.**
  • Options
    Bah, did you really expect us to stay 100% on-topic? :)
  • Options
    JillJill Posts: 44
    I have seen this problem since day 1 and figured it was never corrected or really addressed because they were fading the BW panels out, why waste time and money on a dead product. :):)