Home AMX User Forum AMX Technical Discussion

Russound ST2 Dual AM/FM Tuner

I am using a russ dual AM/FM Tuner. When i use the module, using either the AMX interface and comm or my interface and code and just using the comm module I get feedback in the data.text/buffer for both tuner 1 and 2 when I send commands to vdvTuner1, but when i send commands to vdvTuner2 I only get a response on data.text/buffer for tuner 2.

This plays hell in my variable text windows for tuner 2 when someone in another room makes changes to tuner 1.

What am I doing wrong? I called and spoke with tech support and they said they sent it to the "module department" but i have not heard back from them.

Thanks

Comments

• This is an AMX inconcert module? It's entirely possible there's a bug in it, but since no one except AMX has the source to that module, they're the only ones that can fix it.

Your only other choice is to ignore the data that's coming from the module and write your own parser for the data coming back from the unit.

- Chip
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I hate to say it, but I have yet to use an AMX module that worked 100% as documented, or even correctly. They all have their little quirks, and some have whopping quirks; but none are insurmountable. Updates are few and far between. But there is nothing stopping you from adding your own routines to fill in the gaps.

That said, I've used the Russound module myself, and don't recall having that particular problem. Make sure you didn't mix up the reference in what they call nSourceNumbers[], and make sure you used two different virtual device addresses, and not two ports on the same virtual.

If you can make certain it really is a module flaw, you might have to ditch the feedback in the module and process the output of the tuner yourself. It's a pain, but the Russound is pretty well documented, it's an available option.
  • kennyannkennyann Posts: 113
    I found the same issue with AMX's module for ST2. I might have used it incorrectly but I decided to write my own module - it a little bit more time but I have complete control on the code. That might be the best way for you to go.
  • mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    Hey, I have a question about using the ST2 module in a system.

The module documentation for implementing the ST2 Dual Tuner reads like this:
    DEFINE_DEVICE

dv_ST2_PORT = 5001:1:0 // device port to tuner
    vdvTUNER1 = 33001:1:0 // virtual tuners (two modules per ST2 tuner)
    vdvTUNER2 = 33002:1:0
    dvTP1 = 10001:1:0 // tp

DEFINE_VARIABLE

vdvTUNER_ARRAY[] = {vdvTUNER1, vdvTUNER2} // device array for two tuners
    nSource_Numbers[] = {1,2} // source address settings

DEFINE_FUNCTION

DEFINE_MODULE 'Russound_ST2_Comm' ST2_Comm_1 (vdvTuner_ARRAY,dv_ST2_PORT,nSource_Numbers)

This describes a setup where you just have the dual tuner connected to the master on an rs232 port.

My question is, if you have a Russound 6.6 CAV with ARNet, and the ST2 is on the ARNet, the CAV can communicate with the Tuners without the Tuners needed a seperate RS232 port... so how do we declare the ST2's module in this situation?

I'm planning on giving Russound a call but if anyone has done this and knows what to do, please post. Thanks in advance.
  • rolorolo Posts: 51
    mpullin wrote:
    Hey, I have a question about using the ST2 module in a system.

The module documentation for implementing the ST2 Dual Tuner reads like this:
    DEFINE_DEVICE

dv_ST2_PORT = 5001:1:0 // device port to tuner
    vdvTUNER1 = 33001:1:0 // virtual tuners (two modules per ST2 tuner)
    vdvTUNER2 = 33002:1:0
    dvTP1 = 10001:1:0 // tp

DEFINE_VARIABLE

vdvTUNER_ARRAY[] = {vdvTUNER1, vdvTUNER2} // device array for two tuners
    nSource_Numbers[] = {1,2} // source address settings

DEFINE_FUNCTION

DEFINE_MODULE 'Russound_ST2_Comm' ST2_Comm_1 (vdvTuner_ARRAY,dv_ST2_PORT,nSource_Numbers)

This describes a setup where you just have the dual tuner connected to the master on an rs232 port.

My question is, if you have a Russound 6.6 CAV with ARNet, and the ST2 is on the ARNet, the CAV can communicate with the Tuners without the Tuners needed a seperate RS232 port... so how do we declare the ST2's module in this situation?

I'm planning on giving Russound a call but if anyone has done this and knows what to do, please post. Thanks in advance.

I dont think it works that way..i think you have to go separate... If you fund out different, please post