Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

Kenwood DV5900M

Hello,

Anybody got any luck interfacing this changer with Netlinx?

I can't even get the AMX module to work, so I imagine the cable is the problem. The only thing I know is that a null modem cable is needed and that it's 9600N81, and that such a cable is what is provided with the device, but this is a bit short to know all of the details. Mainly, is RTS/CTS (HSON) and/or DTR used?

Many thanks to anybody with more details!

Fred

Comments

• Options
    frthomasfrthomas Posts: 176
    Finally got it to work. No handshaking, but DTR/DSR/CD must be connected together.

Fred
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Fred,

According to the cable diagram you should loop back DTR/DSR (4/6) and also loop back RTS/CTS (7/8) on the Kenwood side. RXD and TXD (2 & 3) must be crossed. GND (5) straight thru.

Here is the link for the drawing:

10-P1718-04

I can confirm that the module does indeed work.

Cheers,
    Joe
  • Options
    TimmaaTimmaa Posts: 9
    Heads up

Beware on the DV5900M while connected to the unit and talking to the unit do not unplug the cable or power on several occasions in the past year I have corrupted and then had to reset the internal memory on my unit. This drove me to get a new unit from Kenwood with the same issue. It may be an isolated case but I just wanted to make you aware.
    Thanks
    Timmaa
  • Options
    frthomasfrthomas Posts: 176
    Thanks guys,

I had no doubt the module worked!

BTW for the completeness of the information RTS/CTS is not used by the Kenwood so when doing your own cable there is no need to loop it as done in the "generic" AMX version shown above.

And I will certainly try to avoid toying with the power too much on this device, which by the way has only half of a decent RS232 protocol since you can't even standby the unit through it! Oh well, just another of those RS232+IR devices...

Fred