Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

eAsTeR EgGs

Okay, this is completely off the wall but I was thinking . . . has anyone ever put any "easter eggs" in their projects? Perhaps when doing a panel for a family member, a friend or even in your boss' house? If so, what kind of "easter eggs" have you done?

I've heard a story at one of my trainings where someone had sent a panel file to someone else's touch panel with a button on there that said, "Do NOT Press This Button". Well, needless to say the guy pressed it and ... you guessed it, a provacative picture appeared on the panel to the guy's suprise. I'm not sure of the validity of this AMX Urban Legend, but it's funny nonetheless.

Certainly (well hopefully) no one here has done that to a client (or boss), but what about maybe putting the "T-T-T-TODAY JUNIOR" soundclip from Billy Madison when the user hasn't made a selection after a set period of time? Or having a picture appear on a random day at a random time. Little funny things that you know are there, but doesn't harm or hamper the way the system works.

BTW - I would NEVER do anything of this sorts to a real client nor do I recommend doing such a thing. I would just like to hear some funny ideas / stories.

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    This doesn't quite qualify as an Easter Egg - but I got a chuckle out of it.

I have a system with a generic alert system built into it. When certain conditions are met, a popup appears on the panel, a sound file played (really annoying beep), and a text message is displayed. Knowing I had a guy working in the room with the panel (I was actually on the phone with him, discussing a hookup issue), I remoted into the system and forced the popup open, sound and all, with the message: "'Bobby is a weener!" (Bobby being the tech's name, of course).

Thirty seconds later, on the phone, " Holy s***! Was that you?!" :) He was actually thinking for a moment the system itself was insulting him ...
  • Options
    easter eggs

Of course - residential. Always. Kids get their own page for the primary video source. I always disclose everything by the end of the job. When you can't call fUN () periodically, might as well go back to coding accounting apps in a cube.

Bill
  • Options
    dchristodchristo Posts: 177
    Eggs are the best part of this job! Here's a couple of my favorites...

--D
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    D,

You've put those on panels before? LOL
  • Options
    In the NetLinx module I have written for our CTG-LON interface, with a special string and some mystic channel pulses, you'll get a nice small message :)

In the source, the output texts are coded hex and the channels are on a hidden device, so it would not be so easy to find that function if someone ever gets the module source.... :D
  • Options
    Do you guys know the hidden terminal commands in AXcess masters? :D
  • Options
    Do you guys know the hidden terminal commands in AXcess masters?
    I don't - I've never dealt with an Axcess master. Care to share? :D
  • Options
    JillJill Posts: 44
    Are you talking about the 'superuser' section?
    As for eggs, It'd be kind of cool to have a image for every season or holiday pop up for a moment on that day. :):)
  • Options
    The closest I've come to this was when we first got a TPI/4 - the first G4 device I could get my hands on. I wanted to play with the sound playback options, so I wound up putting a JPG of Cartman from South Park on a project "shutdown" page, along with the sample of him going "s___ you guys, I'm goin' home!". (If you're a South Park fan, you'll know what he said - if you're not, you won't find it funny anyway) :)

- Chip
  • Options
    jjames wrote:
    I don't - I've never dealt with an Axcess master. Care to share? :D

Put it this way - if you're ever connected to an Axcent3 with the terminal window open and having a bad day, try swearing at it. Be colorful.

- Chip
  • Options
    I thought it would be neat to make a animated clip of the glass on the TP cracking wherever the client would touch the screen. :eek:
  • Options
    I thought it would be neat to make a animated clip of the glass on the TP cracking wherever the client would touch the screen.
    That would be pretty funny!
  • Options
    champchamp Posts: 261
    So why did they remove those terminal commands for Netlinx and did they put any new ones in?
  • Options
    There is a local large retail orginization (think bullseye logo) that had a touch panel in a technical room. That company had just licensed Sponge Bob Square Pants for their advertising. SO on the tech panel I wrote a routine that would randomly pop a picture of sponge bob popping out through the bullseye logo. It would pop up for less than a second three times, then dissapear for a while(again random time interval) then do it again.

It was great to watch peoples reaction to that cause the blinking was just enough to catch attention, then go away. People would just look around with a "did you see that" type of expression.

Also did a touch panel with a don't touch this button button for a trade show. If you pressed it, text appeared saying "I said - don't touch that button" if you pressed it again some other text popped up along the lines of "look buddy..." or something.

I guess I need more to do...
  • Options
    Do you guys know the hidden terminal commands in AXcess masters? :D

Works only on AXcess master.. :(
  • Options
    Glad to someone at AMX had some humour :D
  • Options
    JohnMichnr wrote:
    There is a local large retail orginization (think bullseye logo) that had a touch panel in a technical room. That company had just licensed Sponge Bob Square Pants for their advertising. SO on the tech panel I wrote a routine that would randomly pop a picture of sponge bob popping out through the bullseye logo. It would pop up for less than a second three times, then dissapear for a while(again random time interval) then do it again.
    The creator of Sponge Bob is one of my clients; his panel design has a Egyptian motif (one of the very few designs I farmed out because I was too busy at the time the project was active - maybe one of you guys did that one for us?). It's due for a re-write because of a bunch of changes ... wonder if he would appreciate an addition like that? :) He's a pretty nice guy too, one of our techs has a small son who was a Sponge Bob fan, and he mentioned it when he was working at the house; a week later a huge box of Sponge Bob stuff appeared at the store for him.
  • Options
    my boring easter egg

damn, i will have to pursue a more creative egg package. after reading some creative suggestions here, my little egg is boring.

i have a blank button within a Help/Support page for all customers. if someone should happen to touch this unmarked button, they will be taken to a page containing photos of the project during it's early stages.

i tend to snap a few pics on the mobile phone during an installation, so those pics end up in the panels.

i really like the cracked screen idea. you've got me wondering what i may pre-program for April Fools day (but only before midday of course) :)
  • Options
    Interesting page if you like Easter eggs

http://www.eeggs.com/items/18746.html

Boy, I really miss working there, best job I ever had!
  • Options
    Okay - so I'm wrapping a code-rewrite for my boss' house, and decided to go with the panel talking back (for now.) Such as, when he powers off the entire house, a voice comes on and says, "The universe doesn't reward you points for doing things easy." in reference to the ability to shut off the whole house with one press. Or when wakes the panel when no sources are selected, Chris Farley says, "What were you doing?" (from the movie Tommy Boy). There's several more sound files in there, all of which can be shut off with another press to disable the easter eggs.

Of course, all this is done on the condition, IF(RANDOM_NUMBER(21)=6), so it won't happen all the time.

Just thought I'd drop in and let you know what I did. I know it's a bit on the soft side, but hey - it was fun. :D
  • Options
    NMarkRobertsNMarkRoberts Posts: 455
    Getting to the Admin page

A "secret handshake" to get to the Admin page amounts to an easter egg, if rather boring. I call mine the Double Tap.

The main page of most panels usually has a button somewhere with a logo (or the name of the room or the status display or something like that) which has no action on pushing it.

Have it open a popup. Make the popup transparent, the same size as the button beneath, and positioned on top of it, make it non-modal and with a one second timeout.

Put a button on the popup which is also transparent and covers the whole popup, and make it open your Admin page.

To open the Admin page, double-tap the logo.
  • Options
    travtrav Posts: 188
    Tp4...

Go into the __project page in Setup pages (I looked in an 8400) and check out the Filename. Apparently a coder having a go at someone who doesn't like it when the name is too long to fit in the box.

Who is said Joseph Patrick Kessler ?

Made me chuckle.
  • Options
    Joseph Patrick Kessler is JoeyJoeJo1200, care to explain deeper? Post a screen shot? I used to maintain the setup pages, their shouldn't be any easter egg on that page. That qualifies as a goof, oops
  • Options
    Jeff LockyearJeff Lockyear Posts: 147
    Early on we got a MAX that was having tons of problems, so I had to disconnect it for a time. I left the MAX selection on the touchpanel, which played the Napoleon Dynamite wav file, "It's a piece of crap, it doesn't work." when pushed. I got the file from a touchpanel design I downloaded from AMX that had like 30 Napoleon Dynamite sound files in it.

I was also troubleshooting a Landmark system once and a DMS displayed (I kid you not) "Master Phucked" briefly upon a reboot.

Jeff
  • Options
    DarksideDarkside Posts: 345
    Joseph Patrick Kessler is JoeyJoeJo1200, care to explain deeper? Post a screen shot? I used to maintain the setup pages, their shouldn't be any easter egg on that page. That qualifies as a goof, oops
    Joeyjoejo1200, you are an embedded hero. Wow!

(It is a term of endearment, of course!)

:-)
  • Options
    travtrav Posts: 188
    Leave It!!

Please don't remove it! It's things like these that keep poor geeks like me amused when all else around me is in turmoil.

A little bit of random humor to spice up our lives is needful. I'm sure the majority would agree with me.
  • Options
    Clearly, it was a test string to see how it wraps:

"This Text is too long for Joseph Patrick Kessler to read " is the name of the button that displays the file name on the __project page of the 8400 system page template. It's obviously not in the text field itself or you would surely have heard of it sooner :).
  • Options
    proggieusproggieus Posts: 3
    tp fun

i programmed a large sprots bar right outside of an NFL stadium. the company logo was white silhouettes of sports players. I being a die hard Vikings fan made it so when you touch the QB silhouette it turns into a Vikings uniform. I also coded into a panel a tick tac toe game just see if i could pull it off. It worked and would even tell you if "O" or "X" won. this was about 4 months into my programming carrer so it took a boatload of variables but it worked
  • Options
    GeoGeo Posts: 6
    Axcent Easter Eggs

I have to admit...I was having a bad time with a particular piece of code and was terminalled into an Axcent card frame. At one point I lost it, typed in a not so nice, two word statement and hit enter, and was very surprised when the master card replied to me. Needless to say, it was a much needed laugh, and of course I spent the next hour or so typing in everything I could think of to see what else it had to say to me.

Good stuff.
  • Options
    PhreaKPhreaK Posts: 966
    I was just doing a bit of debugging on a system and noticed and interesting string come back from the DSP. I don't think it likes me.