Home AMX On-Demand Classes & Certifications

AMX Programmer (Cafe Duet) as an online course

To the Harman trainers hanging around here: Any change that the instructor led course 'Welcome to AMX Programmer (Cafe Duet)' will become available as an online course? don't really want to take the class, but would like to have a look to see what it will bring me and work through it when I have a change.

Comments

• HARMAN_ChrisHARMAN_Chris Harman Integrated Technologies Group (ITG) Posts: 332

Richard, the Harman Pro training program underwent a radical transformation recently as part of a broader Pro Division restructure plane. An online version of Duet was on the road map, but I believe that initiative has been cancelled. Officially, Cafe Duet has been discontinued and no updates are planned. However, it is the only tool available to developers who need to leverage functions only available in Java... If you have specific questions, members here can assist, but there will not likely be any content coming out of the training department in support of Duet in the foreseeable future.

• richardhermanrichardherman not-so-junior member Posts: 269
    edited August 7

Oh, well. Thanks for the answer. I know that Cafe Duet has been discontinued , but wanted to see if I could improve my device drivers with Java.

If no updates for Duet are planned, I hope that updates to NetLinx ARE in the near future. If not, then what?

• viningvining X Member Posts: 4,368

@richardherman said:
    If not, then what?

I think everyone would like to know this answer!

• John NagyJohn Nagy CineTouch Product Manager Posts: 1,569

Yup. Considering that AMX was hinting that their future would be all Java.

• HARMAN_ChrisHARMAN_Chris Harman Integrated Technologies Group (ITG) Posts: 332

John, the future is looking like JavaScript.

• richardhermanrichardherman not-so-junior member Posts: 269

@HARMAN_Chris I know you aren't gonna tell us anything, but I still gotta ask ;) : When is AMX gonna announce some real future plans, something I can take to management? As things are now I am continously having to defend my choice to stay with AMX and I'm slowly loosing the fight...

• viningvining X Member Posts: 4,368

RTI drivers are written in JS but I told myself I don’t want to learn it and spend a few years to get proficient. If AMX was heading down that path then it might be worth while but I fear I’ll be retired before AMX comes out publicly to let their dealers a know where their futures are heading. I’m actually surprised there are people still here at all now. The last 5 years have been sad and pathetic.

@richardherman I think you will find that SVSi by AMX by Harman by Samsung is far more open about roadmap and projects that are in the works than legacy AMX ever was. The reality of release schedules is never what fans of a product line would want -- we want it today, but when you are building things, everything takes more time than anyone would want. Realistically, I think Netlinx and Duet will remain viable in new projects for at least 4 more years as we see the roll out of a next gen platform and have an overlap period while a full product portfolio is rolled out to support the platform.

As for your team hearing the message and seeing the roadmap, that request would start with your rep or regional sales manager.