Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Plugging my laptop into a clients video wall and I can no longer see my presentation

Hi-
This is PROBABLY something very basic, but try as I might I cannot figure it out.
I'm trying to plug my laptop into a clients existing AMX video system [looks like a router]. I'm using a Toshiba Satellite laptop with Windows 10. I'm sorry, but I do not know the model of their AMX system.

When I plug the HDMI cable into my laptop from their AMX, my pc display no longer shows my presentation but shows another blank desktop where I can no longer see my presentation to launch it or control it. On the clients video wall, we can get it to come up there, but I cannot tweak it (make the presentation full screen, launch other presentations, etc.) from my pc. I would THINK that what I see on my laptop is what the video wall shows. Everywhere else that I've done this, that is the case and it works great, at this clients, it is not the case. This has happened to me each time I've used both their old and their new AMX system. ONLY at this location. I end up not being able to run the presentations (videos from Quicktime).

I've gone into my Windows display settings and when things are connected, the choices are super limited, So there's not a lot there that helps. When I'm not connected to the hdmi cable, I can swap the display monitors around, mirror the display, etc. But once I plug it into the AMX- all of that goes away and I can't control it. I've tried every video/Windows tweak I can think of but can't get it to work.

Like I said, this is probably a very dump/noob mistake, but with the AMX system, I cannot find if the issue is on their end or my own.

I tried plugging it all in first, then booting up. Same thing.
I tried having my laptop up and running and plugging it in. Same thing.

Any ideas or step by steps?

Comments

• Two thing that immediately come to mind:
    1. Widows projecting options. press [Windows]+[P] to see different options for duplicate desktop, extended desktop, second display only, etc.
    2. Powerpoint Presentation mode. When using 2 displays, Powerpoint can dedicate one for the main output of the slideshow (ie. slides only ) and a second output for the "presenter view" which includes the current slide, next slide preview, & notes.

• Thanks Rob for the reply. I used 'presentation' loosely. It's actually a video launched in Quicktime. So no Powerpoint involved. I DID try ctrl P and it came up... but on the screen I couldn't see. There was no way to get it on my pc screen that I could decipher. I realize this might be more of a Windows question, but I figured someone might have experience with it.

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734

Google "swap screens windows 10", get lots, including:
    Set the Primary and Secondary Monitor
    Right-click on your desktop and select "Display". ...
    From the display, select the monitor you wish to be your main display.
    Check the box that says "Make this my main display." The other monitor will automatically become the secondary display.
    When finished, click [Apply].

You can Quickly switch desktops without going into the Task View pane by using the keyboard shortcuts Windows Key + Ctrl + Left Arrow and Windows Key + Ctrl + Right Arrow.

• But when I do this, I have to have the hdmi plugged in, yes? When I plug that in, I can no longer see those directions as they are on the other screen. If I do this with another monitor, it works as it should. BUT when I plug into the AXM system it doesn't work like that. The ctrl Left Arrow , etc. is something I haven't tried. I didn't realize that as a command. Will try next time.