Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Laptops with com ports

Are there any laptops out there these days that still have com ports, or has everyone gone straight to USB? I need to get a new laptop, but don't want the hassle of a USB to serial convertor (I hear nothing but bad about them). Surely there are still modern laptops with serial ports?

Comments

• Options
    I tried the USB route but found the several that I tried simply weren't reliable with the various applications, AMX included, that you need to run on a regular basis to program systems. I went with the PCMCIA plug-in card. I use one from Quatech and have found that it acts exactly as you would expect an internal COMM port to work. I'm very happy. I have one that has dual comm ports, so that I can have Studio talking to a control system and download a TP or capture IR codes through my IRIS, without having to move my cable back and forth. While I would prefer a USB dongle rather than the type that connects to a PCMCIA card, it was worth the trade-off to have reliability.

I ordered the card from Quatech directly off of their website (www.quatech.com).

Good luck.

Sheldon Samuels
    IPS Resources LLC
  • Options
    I believe the Dell Insprions still have DB9 com ports... The one I have (not terribly old) has one.

- Chip
  • Options
    Ah Sheldon, I didn't realize there were even PCMCIA serial port cards available. Makes sense I suppose. Sounds like that would be a really easy way to go, and broaden the selection of laptops. Great tip!

Chip, I'll check out the Dell's. I was thinking they were one of the manufacturers that did away with the com ports, but I could be wrong.
  • Options
    HedbergHedberg Posts: 671
    I had a USB to serial adapter that worked pretty well most of the time but wouldn't work with Studio sometimes and wouldn't work with the IRIS or with the C*tron IR Learner. I bought the $70 2 port solution at:

http://www.qualitycables.com/Category.cfm?catid=468&AZX=

and have had absolutely no problem with it.

I'm guessing that a lot of the similar cards come out of the same factory and get rebranded by different resellers.

Harold
  • Options
    My Dell Inspiron 9100 does not have an internal port. Unfortunately, it also has one PCMCIA slot, so my dual comm port card is usually the only card I have inserted. The only downside that I have had with my plug-in card is that with the Inspiron, the card has shorted out 4 motherboards that Dell has replaced in a year. Fortunately, I paid for next day on-site service so I have been able to get them replaced fairly quickly, but I never lose any data and can still work even when the slot goes bad, as long as I keep my USB dongle as a back-up. I'm not sure why this keeps happening since they replace everything involved when I get the new motherboard, but it is a risk I feel is worth it to have reliable comm communications. Something to consider if you are looking at Dell's.

It also happens that Dell didn't keep the Inpiron 9100 on the market for very long at all. Not sure why but maybe they knew something that they haven't made public.

For every good idea, there is always a trade-off. Take it for what its worth.

Sheldon Samuels
    IPS Resources LLC
  • Options
    The top two HP business line laptops still have them. I've been running my HP for two years now and haven't had an issue.

Kevin D.
  • Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Well I use a Keyspan adapter that works perfectly with all AMX softwares in Virtual PC ;) Just check that adapter supports higher speeds of 115200 as it's sometimes used with NetLinx system :)

Vince
  • Options
    Check the Panasonic tough boy. They did have them and are designed for commercial work places for techs.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I have a DB9 on my dock, but not on the laptop itself (Compaq Presario R3000). I use the Keyspan adaptor as well in the field, and it works perfecty for all AMX applications. THe only time I have ever had a problem with it was with a Lutron Homeworks sytem - at high speed, I got a blue-screen crash trying to extract a project. Loading was no problem, and dropping the port spped down a notch enabled me to extract it. SO, overall, I've been happy with it.
  • Options
    I have found the Comsol converter reliable - at least for setting up the IP details in the master, then it's all crossover cable!
  • Options
    I'm using a Dell Latitude D810 which still has a com port. Also a nice 17" screen 1920x1200
  • Options
    This on works perfectly.
    vincen wrote:
    Well I use a Keyspan adapter that works perfectly with all AMX softwares in Virtual PC ;) Just check that adapter supports higher speeds of 115200 as it's sometimes used with NetLinx system :)

Vince
    The Keyspan adaptor works with Studio and all other AMX apps. without a problem. The reason is true Microsoft signed drivers for XP. I found it for $35.00 at buy.com with free shipping. http://www.buy.com/prod/Keyspan_High_Speed_USB_Serial_Adapter_Replaces_The_USA_19QW/q/loc/101/10357749.html
  • Options
    pauldpauld Posts: 106
    I'm using a Dell Latitude D810 which still has a com port. Also a nice 17" screen 1920x1200

Same here, a Dell Latitude D810, I got this laptop about 6 months ago. Works just great, and the screen is just wonderful.

Paul
  • Options
    KennyKenny Posts: 209
    AMX USB port

Wouldn't be nice if AMX put a USB port on everything and did away with the 9pin. Then all out troubles would be resolved. Oh and new ones created. <grin>.
  • Options
    Kenny wrote:
    Then all out troubles would be resolved. Oh and new ones created. <grin>.
    Well, considering my experience with a Yamaha DSP recently, I would choose RS232 over USB for communications anyday!
    Another thing I found when using a USB adapter is to check that the power for it is not controlled by Windows (look in device manager under each USB root hub for the power management tab.) this caught me when I recently replaced my laptop and had no end of trouble when in the middle of a job.
  • Options
    Preparing a Netlinx device over networks

for the record i use a generic USB serial adapter. it has problems with IRIS, but that's about it.

but i just wanted to point out that if you can setup a netlinx controller without ever bothering with a serial port.

by default, the controller will do DHCP. so if you plug the controller into a network that you know (your office) and let it get assigned a network IP you are close to controlling it already.

after connecting the controller to a DHCP network, run a program like Scanport (try http://www.dataset.fr/eng/scanport.html)

Set it to scan for port 1319, and to scan the entire IP range of your network. (optionally, turn off 'Use PING', don't really need it). within a minute of two, the IP address assigned to your controller (and any netlinx controllers) should be displayed.

once you have that number, well, you know what to do from there.
  • Options
    laptop with serial port

The dell inspiron 600m or latitude 600m (essentially the same machine) have a single DB9 com port....this was the primarly reason I got the machine. It has held up well for me....

Rich
  • Options

Okay, I don't have bad eyesight, but running at that res is just TOO small for me. I had to suck up the "fuzziness" that one gets running at non-native resolutions, but I've gotten quite used to 1280x800.

- Chip
  • Options
    i just wanted to point out that if you can setup a netlinx controller without ever bothering with a serial port.
    after connecting the controller to a DHCP network, run a program like Scanport (try http://www.dataset.fr/eng/scanport.html)

Set it to scan for port 1319, and to scan the entire IP range of your network. (optionally, turn off 'Use PING', don't really need it). within a minute of two, the IP address assigned to your controller (and any netlinx controllers) should be displayed.

once you have that number, well, you know what to do from there.

Wow - I'm a patient person, but waiting for that procedure would drive me nuts. I jack in a 232 cable and manually set IP info on masters almost without thinking about it.

- Chip
  • Options
    Have had many Dells - Latitudes and currently Precision, no problems with comm ports. Precision has been outstanding. Now I think only Latitudes and Precisions have comm ports.

Bill
  • Options
    hi chip,

yeah, you're right it can be quick and simple to setup with RS232. it's a suggestion, and the time may balance out, where the scan time ~= the serial setup time.

and if you don't have a serial port/cable, it is also a solution to finding the controller. and your network installation is tested in the process :) of course, if there is no DHCP or a fault in the network, then sorry, cant help :)

all in all, we do need serial ports. even for setting up/maintaining third party devices. i just wished all devices would have tcpip, then i'd be a lot happier :)
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    If you use Vincen's program from http://www.domedia.net/index.php?page=diagdownload&title=DOWNLOAD , you can dispense with the scan. I don't use a serial connection at all for setting up any more, just Vincen's nifty program and the Network settings tab in diagnostics.
  • Options
    alexanboalexanbo Posts: 282
    If you use the listen functionality in Netlinx Studio it does similar stuff to Vincen's program.... primarily it will scan the network and tell you which masters are present, their system number and ip address.

It can be accessed from the Master Comm Settings dialog and then the window showing all the ip addresses you've used in the past has a Listen button on it.
  • Options
    hmmm... just tried 'listen' .. and it works well. and quick.

so forget all that stuff i said about scanport. just get the current (as of this date) netlinx studio.

doh... that'll teach me not to look around at new features :)
  • Options
    chris247chris247 Posts: 3
    not to sound like the oddball but i have a gateway that has a serial port. it is the 450ROG which is the business class.