Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

NI-700 Factory Reset - Password Unknown

Hi all,

I recently bought an NI-700 controller and a couple of touch screens on ebay to play with AMX. Unfortunately the controller has a password enabled and I am unable to reset it. From what I have been reading, it can only be reset from NetLinx Studio, but I am unable to do this because I can't login.

I have tried all of the default passwords, and have also tried holding the ID button on power-up, but I beleive this is only for the newer NX series controllers.

Is it possible to reset the unit so I can start fresh, or have I bought a brick?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Have you tried accessing the unit through the (serial) program port? If that is also password protected, you could be out of luck with an NI

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734

Before you give up, try "administrator" and "password"...

• ajc5kajc5k Posts: 4
    > @richardherman said:
    > Have you tried accessing the unit through the (serial) program port? If that is also password protected, you could be out of luck with an NI

Hi, yes I have tried the program port, but got absolutely nothing, not even an echo of the text I sent. I know the cable is good because I linked pins 2 and 3 and saw my text echo back. I also tried multiple baud rates so either the port is broken , or it has been disabled if that can be done.
    > @"John Nagy" said:
    > Before you give up, try "administrator" and "password"...

Hi John, I tried the defaults and it wouldn't let me in, either from the web interface or SSH.
  • John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,734

I think you own a brick. The program port can't be turned off, only secured with password.

• @ajc5k said:

@richardherman said:
    Have you tried accessing the unit through the (serial) program port? If that is also password protected, you could be out of luck with an NI

Hi, yes I have tried the program port, but got absolutely nothing, not even an echo of the text I sent. I know the cable is good because I linked pins 2 and 3 and saw my text echo back. I also tried multiple baud rates so either the port is broken , or it has been disabled if that can be done.

I guess reading the above, you probably already tried, but swapping pins 2/3? Like John said you can't turn it off, something should come back.

@richardherman @John Nagy
    I didn't try pin swapping 2+3 originally but just went out to try it. The cable was fine, but I found out why I couldnt get anything on the port. I had the DIP switches set backwards. I assumed ON was down, not UP. The silk screen overlay showing UP was ON was covered by my programming cable. After setting them correctly and opening Putty again, I gained access to the command line and issued the resetadminpassword.

Now I need to remember how it all works again, its been about 14 years since I did anything with AMX.

Thank you for your help.

Adam