Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Varia

Having not had hold of a Varia Panel yet,they do have SIP capability don't they?

Looking in the manual, there is no mention

Comments

• Options
    HARMAN_RobHARMAN_Rob Posts: 230

There is no built-in SIP stack like the old Modero X series. Google is actually removing the SIP stack from Android starting with version 12. But apps that have a SIP stack can be loaded to the panel, and then launched from the AMX G5 Control persona using the ^APP command.

• Options

So, if I'm using a Varia for a residential project and I want the panel to be able to answer SIP calls from an intercom inside my current panel design, how do I achieve that? Thats pretty important for what we do as it appears on most projects. the way it works on the current modero is great

• Options

If you are using external Apps, how do you interact with it from a coding point of view

• Options
    Duncan EllisDuncan Ellis Posts: 154
    edited April 2023

Or should I ask, is there any other form of digital calling we can use and interact with?

We tend to use 2N intercoms....

• Options

Could I connect the two devices together as a multicast video(with audio)? and would it work both ways?

• Options

@HARMAN_Rob said:
    There is no built-in SIP stack like the old Modero X series. Google is actually removing the SIP stack from Android starting with version 12. But apps that have a SIP stack can be loaded to the panel, and then launched from the AMX G5 Control persona using the ^APP command.

Hi Rob. So, after doing a bit of digging. It looks like 2N intercoms will accept a multicast audio and will send RTSP images with audio, so effectively I can create a call without SIP. Providing that:

1. The Varia Panels will deal with RTSP with audio (Incoming)
    2. The panel will multicast the audio from the microphones to a specified address

Can this be done?

Isn't it a bit odd that TPC will have SIP but not the Varia

thanks
    Duncan

• Options

or even better, could AMX not do a deal with linphone? TPC uses that

• Options

That would be very interesting what Duncan is asking...

Can we launch an APP inside the G5 graphics of a VARIA panel ( or outside of them but with a back to G5 graphics button ) ?

• Options

I'd much prefer that the app runs in the background, with a web API that we can interact with. Far better that going backwards and forwards between apps

• Options
    HARMAN_RobHARMAN_Rob Posts: 230

Apps can be launched in the AMX G5 Control persona via the ^APP- commands, similar to Modero. However, because we are using more standard Android than the highly-customized version used for Modero, we currently show apps full screen and make the standard Android navgation bar available to switch back and forth.

TLDR; no "side-by-side" or "app windowing" is available today. We have been considering a "multi-app" persona whiich would place two apps side-by-side, but that ius a Featuire Request that wouldnt be available until later this year.

It would be an interesting test to load the 2N Intercom app and see how it reacts to incoming calls, doorbell rings, etc.

• Options

The issue with that Rob is that the 2N app attracts a monthly charge per device, as its purely cloud based. Plus its no longer under your control, you can't macro anything based on button pushes.
    It would be a far better deal to have something like Linphone in the background and interact through the web API

I just find it a bit of a downgrade to not have SIP available...when you consider that the new Varia are a premium panel.

• Options

Rob, I'm not sure if we are able to load 3rd party apps ourselves on to Varia panels, aren't we ?

• Options
    HARMAN_ChrisHARMAN_Chris Posts: 598
    edited May 2023

Yes. You can load via the Manager desktop software soon to release.

• Options

That means we can currently load apps such - for example- Doorbird app for phone door or Sonos app for music, etc ?

• Options
    Duncan EllisDuncan Ellis Posts: 154

@HARMAN_Rob

2N allow "local calling" which I'm assuming is P2P. This is included in Android 12, so I understand, is it possible to access this?