Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Send IP address to device based on controller IP or by DNS?

I'm controlling an IP device, and I can get the controller to address the device just fine by DNS or IP address, however I need to send a string to the device to change a stream, and the stream will only accept IP addresses. I know I could create a variable with the IP address contained within, but I'm looking to parse the IP address from DNS, or to use the IP address of the controller dynamically to send that IP. So for example if the ip address of the controller is always the last address in the subnet, so like 192.168.1.254 and the device in question would always be 10 less than that, so 192.168.1.244, what would be the best way?
I tried using some strings to concatenate IPs, but my worry is that won't work when the 192.168.1.x becomes a 192.168.100.x address in a different room.
Are there any DNS lookup functions within netlinx besides what you can parse from the DNS on the controller.

I've also considered telnetting to the controller, sending a ping to the name of the device and parsing the results from there, but I wanted to see if anyone had a better way.

Thanks