Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

Please help with IP control

Hello,

I'm pretty new with IP control. I try to control X7-IP thermostat. I didn't found any command list for this device so I try to use module from AMX but nothing works. I transfer TP5 provided to my touch panel, I open .APW file with NetLinx Studio. I build active system and transfert it to my controller. Naturally I modify the code before to specify my device settings (IP, Port,username,password). I can connect with IP address from a web browser so my device and my connection are ok.

I have three simple questions to start :

1- My touch panel port is : 11001:1:0. Am I ok if I give port 11001 as port property in the ONLINE section ?

2- On the touch panel provided by AMX, there is a field where is shown : "Connected to" with the name and IP address from the controller. Shouldn't I see name and IP from the thermostat ?

3- I use my iPad with TouchPanelControl as touch panel. Is it the problem ?

Many thanks!

Mike

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Harman Integrated Technologies Group (ITG) Posts: 0

Let's start with duet basics to understand if we have configured the module properties correctly. if you are using the demo program provided with the module, the virtual device for the module will be 41001. If you telnet/ssh into your AMX controller, and issue the command
    device status 41001:1

What feedback channels do you observe?

This module was written against hardware supplied by the manufacturer and I have helped in the deployment of multiple sites using this driver thus confidence is high that the driver is sound.

• Chris,

device status 41001:1 returns nothing

OnLineTree tab shows under Dynamic/Virtual Devices : 32001 - NSX Application (v4.4.1.1915)

device status 32001 returns :

Device 32001 AMX LLC,NSX Application,v4.4.1.1915 contains 1 Ports.
    Port 1 - Channels:255 Levels:8
    MaxStringLen=64 Types=8 bit MaxCommandLen=64 Types=8 bit
    The following input channels are on:None
    The following output channels are on:None
    The following feedback channels are on:None
    Level 1=0 Supported data types=UByte,UInt
    Level 2=0 Supported data types=UByte,UInt
    Level 3=0 Supported data types=UByte,UInt
    Level 4=0 Supported data types=UByte,UInt
    Level 5=0 Supported data types=UByte,UInt
    Level 6=0 Supported data types=UByte,UInt
    Level 7=0 Supported data types=UByte,UInt
    Level 8=0 Supported data types=UByte,UInt

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Harman Integrated Technologies Group (ITG) Posts: 0

What is your AMX controller model number?
    What firmware revision is loaded to your controller?

• Ad_My_XperienceAd_My_Xperience Posts: 73
    edited October 2023

00000 - NI-MASTER (v4.1.419)
    05001 - NI-3100 (v1.30.8)

Thanks!

Your hardware is not compatible with this driver. Your NI controller is not capable of TLS Ip communications and the hardware requires this method of communications.

edited October 2023

Oups... Thanks for the info.

If I understand, my project is stillborn.

Unless someone agrees to provide me with the list of commands I could send with SEND_COMMAND. Would that work? Do you know what would be the most economical model with TSL/IP communication

• Any NX based controller will support TLS... so the smallest might be the NX1200, which I would recommend. The MCP-106/108 are also NX based controller, but have no buffered memory and clock, which depending on the code or module used may not work as expected.

• Thank you guys for helping!

• Finally, Network thermostat is poor and the support service sucks. I bought an X7-ip and it is not even able to adequately detect humidity in my house and it will not start the dehumidifier.

The company made me believe that they would work on my problem and offer me a solution but ultimately they let me down.

I paid near 700 CAD and now I need to find another brand of thermostat capable of controlling my dehumidifier.

Very disappointed. Be careful before purchasing this product.

Mike

edited February 7

Hi guys,

I finally purchased an NX-3200 controller. The AMX duet module works quite well but I want to take the control further. For example, I want to activate and deactivate the relay that controls dehumidification. How do I know which command to use since neither AMX nor the manufacturer provide the other codes. I tried with the "STRING" section in the DATA_EVENT to try to capture and decrypt the commands coming from the thermostat but it returns nothing. How do you find commands that are not provided in the AMX module?

Thanks!

Mike

Mike,
    WIthin most duet modules, the PASSTHRU command is what you would leverage to inject a native protocol command that is not currently included in the module. This will leverage the open communication connection managed by the driver and apply the appropriate header or footer. If you need to manage the response, that is handled through the PASSBACK function.

In cases where you need a command, you can make a feature request via the driver details page: https://developer.amx.com/#!/itemResult?modelNumber=37713

I am checking with the team to see if the feature you are seeking is already in the driver. The current language around the NT.MODULE_RELAY_FN- command is lacking. This was originally released close to a year ago, but I seem to recall this being a discussion point around the module. We have hardware in our lab to test against if updates are needed.

edited February 8

Chris,

Honestly, I don't know much about DUET modules. All my attempts with different devices have been failures. Since I installed the module in my new controller to take control of my thermostat, nothing works anymore. It's as if the module took control for me. I can't even make the schedule work anymore. In the thermostat management web page the schedule is active but the thermostat no longer takes care of it since the module is running.

Although I passed the module course, I don't understand how it works. In the demo program for the thermostat, there is almost no code in the MAIN.AXS, there are 5 included files and 3 modules. I consider that there are too many objects to add to my existing project for only around ten commands. With my other IP devices, I use SEND_COMMAND and DATA_EVENT section and everything works as I want. Here, with the thermostat module, I cannot control what is in the TP5 demo file and I am unable to control the other essential functions such as the K/H/D relay and the schedule

My goal is to take control of the thermostat with my own code, as for my other IP devices. I try to use STRING in DATA_EVENT to try to see wich feedback is sent to controller but I don't know if it's a gooe idea.

I removed my NX-3200 from my thermostat control and although I restarted my thermostat, the schedule no longer works...

edited February 10

Hello,

Since I installed the module provided by AMX in my controller, there are several functions that no longer work with my thermostat. For example, the thermostat no longer takes into account the schedule that I programmed using the thermostat's web interface. Normally when I press thermostat screen's top left corner, I can display the indoor and outdoor humidity as well as the outdoor temperature in a loop. Since the controller and module took control of the thermostat, this function is no longer available. How do you go about using the DUET module but only taking into account a few commands (like setting setpoints and controlling the fan just to do a test) ?

Also, do you have an example of using PASSTHRU and PASSBACK command ? How do you know wich syntax to use with PASSTHRU when the command is not into the Word document provided with module documentation ?

Thanks!

edited February 10

Chris,

As you mentionned, I understand I need to use NT.MODULE_RELAY_FN- command but values are :
    OFF
    DAMPER
    HUM
    DEHUM
    AUX

In web interface, Relay Output values are :
    OFF
    DAMPER
    DEHUMIDIFICATION
    HUMIDIFICATION
    MANUEL
    SCHEDULE
    IAQ

When I want to start my dehumidifier, I set value to MANUEL and a dropdown box appears with values ON and OFF so I can start or stop my dehumidifier.

With DEHUMIDIFICATION value, I want to define setpoints (Dehumidify Above) and Variance (+/-) value.

My goal is to control my dehumidifier with MANUEL value after reading Indoor Humidity Lelel (Level 35). I need to do that because there is a bug in the thermostat programming. When I choose the DEHUMIDIFICATION value with the value 40% above, the relay does not activate even if I use boiling water to raise the humidity to 90 % near the thermostat. I mentioned it to the manufacturer but they don't want to fix the problem and say everything works fine. My seller did the same test and he has the same problem with another thermostat. He still replaced my thermostat but nothing changed so I have to do the programming myself in my controller to do the work

Thanks for suggests!

I can say the module disables the internal scheduler of the device. A choice had to be made and we concluded that at scale, a system integrator would prefer to have control over the schedule via their control programming for reasons like managing the schedule of a large deployment from one point of truth and not manually at each device. There are specific behaviors about the device that created scenarios where the schedule was operating and will ignore control system commands during recirculation periods and such. Rather than have windows of time that the control system commands are ignored, we elected to ensure the control system would be in charge at all times.

The NT.MODULE_RELAY_FN- command simply establishes the function of that relay in context to how the device firmware handles its operation. I have added a module feature request to provide direct control over the relay to solve for your use case. Understand that manual control of the relay will only operate under the relay type setting of AUX. I am unable to commit to a date for release of this feature, but it is in the ITG backlog to be developed.