Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products

Is it possible to have a PC1 keep it's device powered through a reboot?

Or does a rreboot mean power gets interrupted no matter what you do?
Thanks!

Best Answers

• John NagyJohn Nagy Posts: 1,742
    edited February 26 Answer ✓

The PC1 is controlled by manual switches or by relays in the Netlinx (or any other contacts). The PC1 quick start documentation shows several configurations possible using the dip swtiches. If using the "momentary/latching" mode, the contact controlling the PC1 is held ON full time, and if the Netlinx controlling the PC1 reboots, that relay is opened, shutting off the PC1 output. BUT using "discrete On/OFF" you can trigger a persistent mode with a momentary closure that will not change until a new momentary relay closure is given to the PC1. Unless your program deliberately pulses the relays on a reboot, no relay activity will occur, and whatever the PC1 was doing, it will not change. Note that if the AC power to the PC1 itself is interrupted, the ON mode is lost. See chart;

edited February 26 Answer ✓

Further review suggests that the poorly described "latching" mode would take momentary input closures (pulses) as a toggle to the PC1 output state... with no feedback as to what state it is. This mode would not lose an existing state (whatever it might be) with a NetLinx reboot either (as long as the program in it does not explicitly pulse the control relay on startup). But this mode is fairly useless unless the application allows the user to witness and manage the current state by a manual activation, as in a light in the same room as the user.

Answers

• a_riot42a_riot42 Posts: 1,624

I have it working now, thanks for the comments. I am storing the PC1s states in a persistent variable, since there is no feedback on it's status other than the I/O port. The reason I wanted to not have them shut down the device on a reboot is because I have a NX-1200 plugged into one of them, attached to a NI-2100 I/O port, and the NI-2100 plugged into another one, attached the NX-1200, This way I can reboot either one from the other should it go down.

Now your only fear should be a total power fail, under your plan neither processor will restart when the power returns. Both PC1's will be in OFF.

That's fine, the front button will suffice for the odd power outage. It would be nice to be able to have them automagically turn on once power is restored, but I don't believe there is a way.

edited February 27

Of course there is a way! Several I can think of.
    If it matters enough, consider a relay with activation power from the same AC as the PC1's. Rig the relay give a momentary close on the ON terminals of both PC1s on a transition from no power to power returning, which will start up the two NetLinx. Back in service.... remember to have your program set your PC1 state as ON when booting.
    Perhaps cleaner:
    Add a relay in front of the control connections on the PC1's that is normally closed. Use the MOMENTARY mode of the PC1. Thus, upon power up of the PC1, the idle relay's persistent close will trigger and hold the PC1 output ON.
    Now power the relay activation coils by the I/O ports on the NI/NX. A pulse from code will activate the relay, cutting off the persistent momentary mode and letting the PC1 shut down its AC output... let go, and the attached NetLinx starts up cold.
    There are more ways.

I don't think there is a way to set up PC1s to fall back to their previous state once power is restored but I could be wrong.

edited February 28

The two solutions I described using additional relays both return the PC1's to the ON state upon power restore. They already return to the OFF state on power restore. Your scenario does not require returning to the pre-power loss state, so... that doesn't matter. There is no fourth case.

Yes, sorry I was referring to the PC1s themselves. I wasn't trying to imply it was impossible to do.