Home AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions

Anyone interested in Asterisk phone interface?

I just switched from using a Cisco Callmanager/Win2000/ telephone system to using the Linux-based Asterisk system with great results. The platform is very versitile & lends itself amazingly well to developing XML interfaces for the various IP-Phones. The phones would make a great user interface due to their large screens (ie Cisco 7960) and side & bottom selection buttons.
My programming skills are a bit too spotty to attempt this myself, & am wondering if anyone is currently tackling this....or is planning to. Someone has develloped an interface to "MisterHouse", but think a direct-AMX connection would be great due to the popularity of Cisco Phones and AMX in the corporate setting. Input would be appreciated.

-Kevin P.

Comments

  • Chip MoodyChip Moody Junior Member Posts: 727
    If I could get my hands on one, I'd whip up a module for ya'. :) Sounds like a cool project.

    - Chip
  • mpullinmpullin Obvious Troll Account, Marked for Deletion Posts: 949
    I think there could be some very interesting applications with these cisco voip phones in a home control system. Actually, we have one of these setups in the works as a beta product and currently we're looking for some people willing to test it out.
  • joelwjoelw Junior Member Posts: 175
    mpullin wrote:
    I think there could be some very interesting applications with these cisco voip phones in a home control system. Actually, we have one of these setups in the works as a beta product and currently we're looking for some people willing to test it out.

    Check out the Panasonic KXTDA series.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Junior Member Posts: 4,584
    joelw wrote:
    Check out the Panasonic KXTDA series.

    You can't really control anything in a Panasonic system, though you can trap the SMDR data and do lots of neat things with that.
  • dbradydbrady Junior Member Posts: 30
    DHawthorne wrote:
    You can't really control anything in a Panasonic system, though you can trap the SMDR data and do lots of neat things with that.

    Can you control a Panasonic system through a modem? We have lots of jobs with these phone systems but i have never done any integration with them. I was thinking i could probably control the system through a modem connected instead of a handset and use AT commands to send DTMF tones etc and control it that way. Maybe even connect the mic and speaker of a panel to the modems audio input/output and use it as an intercom/phone. Does this sound feasible? or do the hansets communicate with the system through some propriety protocol? Any advice is much appreciated.
  • joelwjoelw Junior Member Posts: 175
    DHawthorne wrote:
    You can't really control anything in a Panasonic system, though you can trap the SMDR data and do lots of neat things with that.

    This is not so, you can control every aspect of the system. I have a WinCE driver I wrote over three years ago that controls a KXTD and gets real-time state etc. The KXTDA is the same protocol, just over Ethernet with quite a few more features. I disclosed this information a number of years ago on the KXTD group.

    I spent a fair amount of time and $$ reverse engineering this.

    Panasonic's product manager refused to provide a protocol document.
  • DHawthorneDHawthorne Junior Member Posts: 4,584
    joelw wrote:
    This is not so, you can control every aspect of the system. I have a WinCE driver I wrote over three years ago that controls a KXTD and gets real-time state etc. The KXTDA is the same protocol, just over Ethernet with quite a few more features. I disclosed this information a number of years ago on the KXTD group.

    I spent a fair amount of time and $$ reverse engineering this.

    Panasonic's product manager refused to provide a protocol document.

    Ah, then you know more about it than I do. Not ever finding any documentation from Panasonic, I gave it up as one-way only. I don't follow the KXTD groups much, when I was active in them, they were filled with so much useless drivel, I stopped. Is this on their business link site, or another location? I would be interested in seeing your disclosures, it may speak to some situations I would like to resolve. I currently have a wake-up call feature installed in a system, and it's kludgy as all get-out to manage through a modem connection (like, if the receiving extension has auto-answer on). Direct control would be very useful to me.
  • joelwjoelw Junior Member Posts: 175
    DHawthorne wrote:
    Ah, then you know more about it than I do. Not ever finding any documentation from Panasonic, I gave it up as one-way only. I don't follow the KXTD groups much, when I was active in them, they were filled with so much useless drivel, I stopped. Is this on their business link site, or another location? I would be interested in seeing your disclosures, it may speak to some situations I would like to resolve. I currently have a wake-up call feature installed in a system, and it's kludgy as all get-out to manage through a modem connection (like, if the receiving extension has auto-answer on). Direct control would be very useful to me.

    From what I recall each button on the extension has a real-time serial event.

    I know this would be very useful to many, as why I spent the time and money reverse engineering it. The item I did not document was protocol changes from one firmware version to another. This is one of the most obtuse protocols I have ever worked with. The other issue is testing for all type of CO connections, ISDN, T1, etc. I was just testing with analog lines. So from discovering the entire protocol I've only excercised around 40% of it.

    I still have commercial plans to provide multi-target drivers. Perhaps send me your functionality wish lists and I'll see about supporting them.
Sign In or Register to comment.