Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions
Options

Fujitsu Plasma Duet Module

I have been trying to use the new duet module released for Fujitsu Plasmas. I just wanted to post a few of the things I found in the hopes that it helps some others.

First, the connection. There is a diagram, but the diagram does not indicate the need to connect pins 4 and 6 from the plasma. (Somewhat common procedure for devices with hardware control). Also, the diagram from AMX is correct as for wiring straight thru, even tho both connectors are DB9-F. Fujitsu's documentation was misleading (IMHO) and could easily lead you to believe that the wiring should need to be crossed.

Second, the comm module locks the front buttons and IR reception on the plasma automatically. I can understand why this might be necessary, but in my particular application, it causes me a little bit of a headache.

Hope these details help someone :)

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    The only reason I could think of to lock out the user access able functions is to keep the system in sync only if the RS-232 commands were not updated when these functions were executed.
  • Options
    The last Fujitsu plasma I programmed would lock out the remote and front buttons when ever RS232 commuications were active.

You have to send string like @G to start comms and @Q to stop comms and return control to the remote and front panel.
  • Options
    The last Fujitsu I worked with had a command in the protocol that allowed for both RS232 and IR/front panel control. (It did the same thing when the RS232 port initially kicked in - it disabled the IR) I had to send "'%A0400',$0D". Don't know if the unit you're working with will support that or not.

- Chip
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    The comm module provided by Inconcert locks the front/IR control when the module turns on the plasma. The plasma continues to be locked until the module turns the plasma off. There are rs232 commands that will lock the IR and front controls (individually or both) and it seems that the module sends the lock command when the plasma is turned on. I am still waiting to see if the module monitors the locking, and if not, I can simply use the passthru to unlock the plasma. If it becomes too much trouble, I'll just use the module I wrote a previously :)

Jeff
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Does the module itself actually lock the front panel? I have used some older Fujitsu's that I wrote my own RS-232 module for, and the Fujitsu protocol itself worked that way - turn on the RS-232, and the manual controls and IR were locked out.
  • Options
    My experiences with Fujitsu plasmas has been similar to Dave's. When you start using the RS232 interface the IR is locked out.
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Within the Fujitsu protocol documentation, there are codes to lock out the front panel and the IR control. From what I have seen, the module is sending the code to lock out both. The plasma might lockout both while in the process of dealing with an RS232 command, but it is not a continuous lock. I have my module running here in the office and I am able to access both IR and front panel controls after the AMX turns on the plasma.

There are a few reasons I decided to use the AMX commm module over my own module. First would be for the added features such as the ability to adjust brightness and contrast from the module (mine only deals with power and inputs and recalling saved presets). The other reason is that the Fujitsu module was the first module I ever wrote and I haven't had the time to go back through it. I was thinking that the AMX Version might be a little more efficient.

I will try sending a passthru command to reenable the IR controls (don't need front panel controls) after the unit is turned on and see if I can maintain reliable control with the DUET module, if not, I can always fall back to my module :)

Jeff