Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware

Global Cache and AMX

sonnysonny Posts: 208
Anyone done a project with the Global Cache boxes? Looks like a real inexpensive way to connect to a remote rack, even across a WAN or VPN connection. Looks like the AMX interface is pretty weak though.

Thanks...

Comments

• ipssheldonipssheldon Posts: 106
    I've used them on several jobs. The last of which was a school with 50 classrooms, which each had a projector and TV tuner, both controlled via RS-232. We used global cache's in each room to drive the RS-232 ports. I rolled my own code to manage the connections. Because of the number of IP connections (100 or so), I found that the only way it would work (and probably the best approach) was to open the IP connection only when the code has something to send and then to close the connection. For something like volume control, I hold the connection open to tick the volume up until they release the button. I used a que to que up my messages and timelines to track the connection and all of the data processing. It became quite an elaborate program due to timing issues for managing the projector on and off, etc.

Generally the Global Cache worked fairly well. We had some failures out of the box but not too bad. One note, make sure you learn how to do a factory reset because you will need to use this from time to time to initialize a box because they don't alway seem to come up with the publisehd default IP every time.

Good luck. And yes, I agree that the price is very reasonable for what you get.

Sheldon Samuels
    IPS Resources LLC