Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

Using Touch Screen Overlays and Monitors

Has anybody out there been successful using a touch screen overlay on a monitor to control an AMX system?

I know I can use the TPI4 unit, I have done that in the past, but am wondering about taking the RS232 output of a touch surface and getting the X & Y coordinates from it the using that information to run a DVD player. basically a Kiosk system without the TPI.

Any make and model numbers for systems that worked? that is the touch overlay.

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I haven't done it myself, but it seems to me you only need treat it as any other RS-232 device. Connect it to the port, create a buffer, and parse it for the X/Y data. Create a lookup table to fire events based on the data, and go from there.

What you would need is: the hardware connection data (packet configuration, baud rate, handshaking, etc.); the data format. It seems, on first blush, fairly straightforward ... heh, but a lot of things do until you actually try them :).
  • Options
    JohnMichnrJohnMichnr Posts: 279
    That was my first thought as well - I seems so simple...

What could possibly go wrong?
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 13
    If you just want to run a DVD player then throw out the control system and just run the touchscreen serial out to a Pioneer 7400 or something comparable.