Home AMX User Forum NetLinx Studio
Options

NS2 crashes with Axcess

Had a nasty shock today revisiting a very old Axcess job. It was originally created as a NS1.2 .pjs file, which NS2.4 can import and make into a .apw. I found that NS2.4 crashed every time it tried to compile this old axccess program. When I got home I found the same program compiles fine on my desktop machine. Then I compared versions:

Laptop (where problem occurs): Access compiler version 2.0.0.148

Desktop (works): Access compiler version 2.0.0.143

first of all, how did that happen? Both are Netlinx 2.4 installs.

But it gets better. I keep NS1.2 on both machines too. If you move only the .pjs, .axs and .axi, to a new directory it hangs when trying to compile. It seems to need the old .tok file before it will even do a compile. How could that be? Anyone shed some light on this kind of weirdness? The whole .pjs or .apw thing - my understanding is that it's really just a container for the files. The compiler is just looking at the .axs and any .axi's that you might have referenced, correct?

Thanks

OP

Comments

• Options
    matt95gsrmatt95gsr Posts: 165
    I can't really help you out on these problems, but I just wanted to mention that I remembered something from the old thread 'Studio 2.4: Should I?' that seemed to shed a bit of light on the Axcess compiler version mismatch... In particular:
    4. However, thanks to Dickster's Axcess code, we have found we have re-introduced an Axcess compiler problem.
    If you have upgraded to v2.4 and need the v2.0.0.143 Axcess compiler, please email me guy.minervini@amx.com and and I will send it to you with instructions for installing it.

So, maybe you installed from slightly different builds or something. But at least, it looks like someone may have already been semi-aware of some of the issues you're facing here.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I'm pretty sure the last release of Studio fixed the Axcess compiler bug. I had reverted, and since updated it again, and have had no problems. But that would explain the Axcess compiler versoin issues ... you must have reverted at some time on that machine.

I still don't see why you are crashing though, unless that older version simply won't run with the latest Studio (which doesn't seem quite right, it should).

Project files are, as you say, just a wrapper to make sure all your dependencies are in place. There is no reason you can't compile a single code block independent of the project. However, they do store path data, so moving them will break all the path information if it isn't updated (I think the paths are relative, so if the folder structure is identical, it should work, but I am not 100% certain of that). I have often deleted .tok files, so I know it doesn't depend on them. It is probably a path error. When moving projects, it works best to export them, then open the exported project in the new place.
  • Options
    That is correct - NetLinx Studio 2.4 build 126 fixes the Axcess compiler issue, and some other issues. If you have an earlier build of 2.4, you should delete it and download the latest from www.amx.com.