Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

NXC-ME firmware update problems

Gday all,

I'm trying to update the firmware on a NXC-ME (in a NXI) to something less ancient, but the update always stalls in the process. I'm doing it via the RS232 programming port, but the progress bar stalls while transferring the 1st file. (I'm aware of the post-117 upgrade reboot issue, but that should only stall on the last file.)

Regardless, after waiting 10 minutes for the file to trasfer, I kill the process & reboot the master. Nope, still running the old firmware. Try again... Another stall. Reboot. No change.

What frustrates me is that I was able to update the firmware on the NXI from v1.00.20 to v1.00.22. That tells me that the firmware updater is at least making a connection to the Netlinx system, and CAN transfer files properly.

Back to the NXC-ME. It's running v2.00.70, and I tried both the v2.20.117 & v.2.31.137 updates. I also tried it disconnected from the network to ensure no IP traffic was causing issues, but still no joy.

For what it's worth, I've done firmware updates on Axcent3, NI-3000, and various panels before, without such problems. Any clues?

One thought that I just had while typing this was to use the program-run-disable switch. Unfortunatly, the system is at a remote campus, so I don't have easy access to it now.

Yours,
Roger McLean

Comments

• Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I forget off the top of my head what the cutoff is, but the older NXC-ME can't hold the newer firmwares, it doesn't have enough memory (though I think it ought to bo OK with nay non-Duet firmware ... Duet is definitely out).

Even if it does support the firmware you are trying to load, you may have to wipe it clean first, load the firmware, then re-install your code. I have one of them myself at home, and had to do that the last time I updated it. There wasn't enough memory for the old firmware, the code, and the temp files while the new firmware was being installed. I had to give it more headroom.
  • Options
    Try Ethernet
    annuello wrote:
    I'm trying to update the firmware on a NXC-ME (in a NXI) to something less ancient, but the update always stalls in the process. I'm doing it via the RS232 programming port, but the progress bar stalls while transferring the 1st file. (I'm aware of the post-117 upgrade reboot issue, but that should only stall on the last file.)
    I don't ever recommend trying to update firmware via RS232. You really need to use Ethernet even if it takes setting up a temporary network.

The most current firmware for your NXC-ME is the 11/02/2004 file 2010_kit_v2_31_139.kit update for Master.

Description: 2010_kit_v2_31_139.kit

Contents:
    NetLinx Application v2.31.139
    VxWorks v2.30.138
    bootrom v2.30.135
    webPages v2.30.136

Build 139 NetLinx Application
    *** IMPORTANT NOTE - PLEASE READ
    *** To upgrade to Build 139 using kit 139 from Build 117 or prior,
    *** the upgrade requires the following process:
    *** 1. Download kit 139 - Download of last component will fail.
    *** 2. Reboot master
    *** 3. Download kit 139 again - Download should pass.
    *** 4. Reboot master.
    *** This version firmware will require approx. 1.5MB more
    *** free disk space than Build 117 or prior versions.
    *** This version firmware will require approx 1.2MB more
    *** free volatile memory than Build 117 or prior versions.
  • Options
    annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    RS232 vs Ethernet

Brian - Out of curiosity, what issues would 232 have over Ethernet? Obviously it would be slower, but is that a problem? I'm not saying you are wrong, but have there been issues using 232 that Ethernet has overcome? I must admit, I've only done firmware updates over 232 since I was scared that dropped packets from heavy IP traffic would muck up the process. However, the firmware update process seems to be robust enough to survive "gracefully" if such traffic were to stop my transfer. (Yes, our network can slow down from time to time.) I suppose the safest way is to be on-site and create an isolated network, but it would be nice to have our on-site tech watch while I do it remotely. It would also save me a few hours of travel.

Dave - I think you're onto it. I've got 8Mb of spare memory (presumably RAM), but only 3Mb spare on the disk. The firmware update appears to be around 5Mb. I see that a previous programmer has left several G3 Web panels on it as well - they'll have to go. I'll try to load a blank program onto it, update the firmware, then load my new program on it.

I'll post back here once I'm done to let you all know how I went with it. It may be a week before I can get it done though, due to access to the venue...

Roger.
  • Options
    Time is the problem.
    annuello wrote:
    Brian - Out of curiosity, what issues would 232 have over Ethernet? Obviously it would be slower, but is that a problem? I'm not saying you are wrong, but have there been issues using 232 that Ethernet has overcome? I must admit, I've only done firmware updates over 232 since I was scared that dropped packets from heavy IP traffic would muck up the process. However, the firmware update process seems to be robust enough to survive "gracefully" if such traffic were to stop my transfer.
    Roger.

Hi Roger,

I don't have the patience to load firmware via RS232 nor the luxury of tying up Studio for that long. What takes a minute or so over Ethernet might take 10-15 minutes with the comm port. I honestly can't afford to be unproductive for that long.

Now if you are updating firmware that requires multiple loads, you double the chance for a failure. This requires a restart and wasted time. Ethernet is rock solid for loading files so don't worry about heavy IP traffic and enjoy the time saved.

Brian
  • Options
    annuelloannuello Posts: 294
    Yay! All happy now!

Well, I was able to tackle the issue a few days earlier than anticipated.

Updated firmware over ethernet. No problems. (As expected & documented, the 4th file failed. Ran a second update - no problems.) Where possible, I'll now do my firmware updates via ethernet. Thanks Brian!

Thanks also to Dave for pointing out the disk space issue. After removing the G3 web pages, the firmware updates worked without stalling.

Ah, it's nice to know that all our lecture theatres now require a password to remotely access them. I wonder if the average hacker will be able to guess the default password. ;) Perhaps I should change it...

This forum is great. Thanks for all the wisdom & experience that gets posted here.

Yours,
    Roger McLean