Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

Roku Soundbridge

Has anybody used the Roku Soundbridge (www.rokulabs.com
)? It is compatible with Itunes, Windows Media Player 10 and others. I am using Airport/Itunes at home for Internet Radio Streaming to my Netlinx home distributed audio, but I can't control Itunes with Netlinx. I wonder if anyone has done anything with Netlinx and the Roku Soundbridge. Any ideas?

Ricardo

Comments

• vincenvincen Posts: 526
    Hi,

I advice you to use the original product: Slimboxes and not the copy (Roku Soundbrige). You can download the free open source server software here: http://www.slimdevices.com/dev_nightly.html and find all informations about boxes at http://www.slimdevices.com

You'll find an open source netlinx module for control of slimServer with a demo layout here: http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=62827

Feel free to use it and give any feedback on it ;)

Vinc
  • rnoblernoble Posts: 2
    Roku Soundbridge

Icurrently own a Roku M1000. This piece is incredible, I am running both an itunes server as well as an MT-daapd server(running on an NSLU2) I am VERY happy with this product and the community development for it is very active. This piece is actually newer then the oldest slim devices product and is older then their newer model they just released.

I highly recommend this to anyone who is asking about media devices. If you have any questions about them please feel free to contact me privatly.

Cheers

Russell Noble
  • Hi vincen,

Other than age, is there an advantage of using the Slimboxes over the Roku? I've only used the Roku standalone but I'm planning on getting one for an integrated audio piece.
  • Vincen wrote:
    I advice you to use the original product: Slimboxes and not the copy (Roku Soundbrige).

Other than age, is there an advantage of using the Slimboxes over the Roku? I've only used the Roku standalone but I'm planning on getting one for an integrated audio piece.
  • viningvining Posts: 4,368
    I like the Roku SoundBridge and it works very well with Netlinxs and I can easliy access all my iTunes music. It can also access WMA files and internet radio stations. It can do advance text searches by artist, composer, album, song or search by list by genre, artist, album, composer. I have a pretty neat module written for it that I've only used in house that works rather well. It could use a little work but in 1-1/2 years I haven't had any real issues with it.

Another option is the Escient FP-1 which is an iPod docking station that can access iTunes form a server app that Escient provides free of charge. You can aslo use the existing Escient module to control it via an IP or serial connection. It's a little more money than the Roku but it alows you to dock your iPod and display it on your TP so it a little nicer in that regard. It does internet radio as well. It's can be used as a stand alone device w/o a Escient Hard Drive Media Sserver. Around $500.00 i think.
  • vining wrote:
    I like the Roku SoundBridge and it works very well with Netlinxs and I can easliy access all my iTunes music. It can also access WMA files and internet radio stations. It can do advance text searches by artist, composer, album, song or search by list by genre, artist, album, composer. I have a pretty neat module written for it that I've only used in house that works rather well. It could use a little work but in 1-1/2 years I haven't had any real issues with it.

Another option is the Escient FP-1 which is an iPod docking station that can access iTunes form a server app that Escient provides free of charge. You can aslo use the existing Escient module to control it via an IP or serial connection. It's a little more money than the Roku but it alows you to dock your iPod and display it on your TP so it a little nicer in that regard. It does internet radio as well. It's can be used as a stand alone device w/o a Escient Hard Drive Media Sserver. Around $500.00 i think.

Is this the existing Fireball Module? There are several modules available, not sure which one will work. We just received one of these units to demo and would like to see how it works on a TP. It will be used as a standalone piece (no fireball).
  • Sorry about the previous post. I found it on Escients' web site.