Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions VisualArchitect
Options

Got VA Today

Well I got my copy of VA today. Has any one else got theres? What are your thoughts?

Well got it installed. Took 30 minutes to install on a 1.7ghz laptop with 1g ram.

Comments

• Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Mine is ordered and I hope to see it soon. What's your opinion so far?
  • Options
    FrankieFrankie Posts: 71
    Well I think its a good start but not there yet. The Code Builder is limited to if then and a wait. I never could get a vol4 to connect to a ni3000.

I only messed with it for about 30 min so I hope to get to play with it some more today.

I orded mine on thursday and got it on friday so maybe you will get your soon.
  • Options
    VLCNCRZRVLCNCRZR Posts: 216
    AMX Visual Architect

I just received my copy this morning.

I like the concept. The report data that is generated could be helpful
    since it is already formatted neatly.

This product definitely appears to be targeted at the residential end of things.

It is also a great attempt at making code generation and panel design easier for novice programmers. Obviously, making programming easier results in moving more product for the manufacturer.

Most of the professional devices that I control on a regular basis are not in the initial database.

For some reason, I get an error "error generating NetLinx code", about
    50% of the time, even with a small system consisting of a single processor,
    panel, and DVD player. I will keep playing to find out why the error occurs.

I suppose as with ALL template based code generators, this may save a little time in the initial stage, but I cant see avoiding the necessary time that would be needed to professionally customize and finalize a complete project.
  • Options
    matt95gsrmatt95gsr Posts: 165
    VLCNCRZR wrote:
    I just received my copy this morning.

I like the concept. The report data that is generated could be helpful
    since it is already formatted neatly.

This product definitely appears to be targeted at the residential end of things.

It is also a great attempt at making code generation and panel design easier for novice programmers. Obviously, making programming easier results in moving more product for the manufacturer.

Most of the professional devices that I control on a regular basis are not in the initial database.

For some reason, I get an error "error generating NetLinx code", about
    50% of the time, even with a small system consisting of a single processor,
    panel, and DVD player. I will keep playing to find out why the error occurs.

I suppose as with ALL template based code generators, this may save a little time in the initial stage, but I cant see avoiding the necessary time that would be needed to professionally customize and finalize a complete project.

I was thinking the same thing regarding the equipment (or lack thereof) in the databse. Funny though, I'm getting an error generating code every time. I haven't successfully generated a single project yet...I've tried different small scenarios, but so far can't even get it to work with 1 master, 1 panel, and 1 device...
  • Options
    Matt,

If it's possible, could you attach the VAP for the simple system that you're encountering code generation errors for? And also the 'CodeGen.log' file from the folder where you targeted the system file generation. (You may have to zip them in order to attach them in the forum.) Thanks.
  • Options
    matt95gsrmatt95gsr Posts: 165
    Matt,

If it's possible, could you attach the VAP for the simple system that you're encountering code generation errors for? And also the 'CodeGen.log' file from the folder where you targeted the system file generation. (You may have to zip them in order to attach them in the forum.) Thanks.

Here you go.
  • Options
    Here is a basic system that generated an error
  • Options
    ondrovicondrovic Posts: 217
    VLCNCRZR
    i took and loaded it and they compiled without any errors
  • Options
    VA strange happenings

Yesterday, my Visual Architect program would open run and operate
    properly, with the exception of generating code.

Today, I go to open the program, and I get another error stating:
    Please install and then re-launch VisualArchitect.

Then.......

Just for the heck of it, I clicked the program icon again,
    and it opened just fine.

Wait... Let me try it a third time (because the 3rd time is the charm).
    Yes, it opened properly on the 3rd attempt also.

Just for the record I am running a Pentium 1.6Ghz, & WINXP-Pro 2002 SP2
  • Options
    JustinCJustinC Posts: 74
    I have two different laptops here at my office and both of them would not install VA correctly. The work around was to attempt to install the application and let it quit working.

Go to add/remove programs and uninstall VA.

Then you close the service for sqlserv.exe <- not 100% on the service name,

then try reinstalling it, when the dos window pops up again wait for it to start throwing error codes then close it. At that point it will continue to rebuild the database.

At that point in order to run the application and not get the error you have to restart the service called SQLAgent$AMX.
  • Options
    I have noticed one thing that I am unsure about. When I restart my computer the SQL doesn't find any connections, or any services. I installed VA on another computer and its the same way. Any ideas?
  • Options
    Nxc-vol4
    Frankie wrote:
    Well I think its a good start but not there yet. The Code Builder is limited to if then and a wait. I never could get a vol4 to connect to a ni3000.

I only messed with it for about 30 min so I hope to get to play with it some more today.

I orded mine on thursday and got it on friday so maybe you will get your soon.

Try bringing in the NXS-NMS first, then add the VOL4 to the shell. That will get it into your control diagrams, but you'll probably find that you need to add the volume control code to your custom.axi file in this version 1.0.
  • Options
    JillJill Posts: 44
    Still waiting to get it here in Canada. I am really interested to trying it out.
    :):)
  • Options
    Same here Jill, let me know when you get it.
  • Options
    ondrovic wrote:
    I have noticed one thing that I am unsure about. When I restart my computer the SQL doesn't find any connections, or any services. I installed VA on another computer and its the same way. Any ideas?

If you are referring to the SQL Server Service Manager in the taskabr tray, it is normal for it to state: "Not Connected - \\"
  • Options
    djohannes wrote:
    If you are referring to the SQL Server Service Manager in the taskabr tray, it is normal for it to state: "Not Connected - \\"

Ok glad to know that its nornal :)
  • Options
    It's an unfortunate side-effect of the Microsoft MSDE installer that VA launches. It always adds a Service Manager entry to your Startup group, even if you are not installed as a named service/data souce (like VA). You can simply delete it from your Startup group and it won't show up in the tray anymore; with no ill side-effects.
  • Options
    pauldpauld Posts: 106
    I just got my copy, looks great, but I would like to be able to modify the color/thickness of the connecting lines in the system design. I think that would make it easer to keep track of what is attached to what in a system. I hope in a future release that this can be worked out.
  • Options
    Ya just got VA today :)