Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions VisualArchitect

Read First - Test Project.

Hi All.

I thought I would start a thread where new VA users could post their first experience building a system.

I just got done with mine and it went pretty well. I was able to connect all the devices to the NI-3000, build a simple touch panel file, build the system, and auto-load the files to the AMX hardware on my desk.

I spent the most time trying to understand the purpose of Mode Selection verses Navigation when building the touch panel. There are set rules that must be followed to prevent you from going off path with the template pages.

I don't have any components to actually test the programming results. That will have to wait for another time.

I believe we will need separate threads to discuss specifics of each function in VA, both positive and negative. Look for Thumbs Up threads to post what you like and Thumbs Down to post what you dislike. I will get some of these threads started and feel free to add what is missing. :)

AMX indicated that they will be monitoring these forums closely for comments, concerns, and feature requests.

Comments

• FAQs

Greetings All--

As you get started with VisualArchitect, you might take a moment to review the FAQs posted by AMX at http://www.amx.com/va/faq.asp

If the Q is relevant, click the Learn More link to watch a brief video clip on the subject. For example, Brian's MODE vs. NAVIGATION question is illustrated in the first FAQ under the Touch Panels section on the FAQ page, titled "How do I use the touch panel navigation components?"

Have fun with it,
    Paul
  • They way I like to explain the difference between Modes and Navigation/SubNavigation elements in touch panel templates is to think of Modes as a fork in the road. They are a full page and are for handling distinct branches in usage. For example, A/V control vs. Environmental control, or setups for different users, or control for different zones. Modes can only take you to Navigation elements, other Modes, or back to the Start. They cannot be linked directly to device elements.

Navigation and SubNavigation elements are like menus. They are always popup pages and allow for changing of the main device control area. Unlike Modes, though, these elements do no "go away" when a button is pressed on them. The Navigation "menu" will always be present. SubNavigations are simply a second tier menu that can be displayed, thereby having both a main Navigation and a secondary SubNavigation visible. For example, your Navigation element may have a 'Video Devices' item that opens a SubNavigation with all video devices in the system.

They are all ways to organize and customize the navigation flow through the touch panel design, and the usage really depends greatly on the specific layout you're trying to achieve.
  • Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    pbohnsack wrote:
    Greetings All--

As you get started with VisualArchitect, you might take a moment to review the FAQs posted by AMX at http://www.amx.com/va/faq.asp

If the Q is relevant, click the Learn More link to watch a brief video clip on the subject. For example, Brian's MODE vs. NAVIGATION question is illustrated in the first FAQ under the Touch Panels section on the FAQ page, titled "How do I use the touch panel navigation components?"

Have fun with it,
    Paul

I highly recommend going to the faqs and viewing the intro video as well as some of the indepth videos. Very helpful, and would have prevented a few of my posts had I taken the time to do so originally :)

Jeff