Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Applications and Solutions VisualArchitect
Options

Devices - What is missing.

Post the devices that you use often that should be added to the data base.

Comments

• Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Where do I add power supplies to the system? Also, does the system have any built in power calculator to verify power needs vs available?

Jeff
  • Options
    Power Supplies

Power supplies are not supported in version 1.0, but they are on the roadmap for a future version. Since power requirements are dependant on cable length and wire guage, we are looking at the best way to implement. Maybe give the cable a default AWG and length (10 feet?) and allow the user to modify in the properties.
  • Options
    In my opinion VA lacks some of the good features of Design Express and doesn't have the easy of use of the discountinued Landmark. Things that I think is missing:

- Support for the AMX IR database. It took years for AMX to build a good database and I didn't see a way to use the old IR files. I looks like that VA has its own IR database structure.

- No IR HEX import. One of the best all time features of IR Edit is the ability to import IR HEX commands from .ccf files, which from a site like remotecentral.com brings 6000+ IR files to us AMX users, in addition to hundreds of discrete IR codes not existent on AMX databases.

- No support for AS16, AS8 switchers. For the residential market, supporting the older AMX switchers, would have enabled VA to be used as a tool to upgrade Landmark jobs. Netlinx Studio Supports them, Design Express as well. They could have adapted the current AS module to a duet format.

- No support for the new DMS Mio keypads.

- For me the concept of rooms and floors is still the best for the residential market. Landmark users know what I mean. You drag and drop the stuff that you want to control to each room and them program them accordingly. This is also great for project reports and troubleshooting. Design Express attempted to address this topic. I was hoping to see that on VA.

Anyways, I have been in the residential market since 1996. Went through the whole Phast/Landmark life and had to make the big transation from drag and drop to Netlinx coding. For the past 3 years, I 've been using Netlinx Studio and feel very confortable with it. Having control of your code is essential for advanced jobs completion and client satisfaction. Maybe VA will evolve to become a good product, but for now I will concentrate on the next jump, Netlinx to Java.
  • Options
    Anyways, I have been in the residential market since 1996. Went through the whole Phast/Landmark life and had to make the big transation from drag and drop to Netlinx coding. For the past 3 years, I 've been using Netlinx Studio and feel very confortable with it. Having control of your code is essential for advanced jobs completion and client satisfaction. Maybe VA will evolve to become a good product, but for now I will concentrate on the next jump, Netlinx to Java.

I don't think you will see any of the current programmers even consider using VA as an end all be all solution, nor do I think it was designed as such. I think the intent of VA was to provide a tool to newer dealers and dealers without experienced programmers that allows them to efficiently compete with other dealers in the area offering E L A N, C R E S T R O N and Control 4 systems. This should only be viewed as a good thing, IMHO. If a VA designed system works as reliably and easily as planned, it can only increase AMX's market share and image as a solid product offering. This means it becomes even easier for us as dealers to sell the products to clients. This hopefully leads to great quantities of products being sold, which should lead to lower production costs and more affordable solutions (like a $50 kickstand instead of $200 ;) ).

This is of course wild and crazy speculation on my part, but from what I have heard, that is my impression of the VA initiative.

On a personal note, I like some of the features VA is already providing. I can easily see the sales people in my company (and even myself) using VA to layout some basic design concepts and saving me the trouble of having to manually layout RS232 port usage and IR port availability. This portion alone makes the project worthwhile to me.

I would like to have a quick add option that lets me quickly add a device similar to the placeholder option in paneldesigner. This would let me create a plan quickly and save the indepth design for a later time (like after the project is approved by the customer).

Jeff
  • Options
    Jeff,

Here's a tip for you to achieve the "quick add" option that you mentioned. By selecting the 'Show DDDP Devices' checkbox in the Devices toolbox, each class of device supported by VA will now have an entry called 'DDDP Device'. Normally, this would be used for Duet Dynamic Device Discovery Protocol-compliant devices, but can also serve the purpose of a "generic" device placeholder. For example, if you want to quickly put together a home theater system without knowing the specific devices that are going to be used, simply drop on a DDDP receiver, DVD player, TV, DSS, etc. Then, when you need to, grab the actual device from the toolbox, drop it on top of its DDDP counterpart, and VA will replace the DDDP device with it in your system. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    I like the quick add DDDP idea. Works well. I figured out how to rename the DDDP device and change it's connection. (using the property box :) )

Is there any way to add IO port devices or Relay triggered devices quickly?

Jeff
  • Options
    Not yet, but I'll add it to the feature request list.