Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion
Options

Autopatch BCS Duet module

Has anyone else tried the new autopatch BCS duet module? I am trying to simply compile the provided comm/gui version, and I keep getting this error:

ERROR: C:\AMX Modules\Autopatch Precis\duet\AutoPatch_BCS_Switcher_Main.tko(0): L20218: Missing valid AMX module reference for [Autopatch_BCS_Switcher_Comm_dr1_0_0.jar]

I had to change the name of the comm module in the main AXS file to match the extended module name to even get to this point, so I am guessing that the downloaded version was never compiled before posting. I also tried creating a new project that simply implemented the comm module and got the same error.

PROBLEM FIXED!

I just had a brain storm and decided to try creating a VA project with an autopatch switcher in it and it compiled fine. I then opened the source (very nicely commented and segmented to make reading/editing it easy) and found the module declaration. Instead of being 'Autopatch_BCS_Switcher_Comm_dr1_0_0' it was 'Autopatch_BCS_Switcher_dr1_0_0'. I renamed the .jar file to match this and deleted the '_Comm' from the module declaration and voila it compiled.

Unfortunatly I'm not still onsite, so I still need to verify that it actually communicates, but atleast it compiles :)

Hope this helps someone.

Jeff

Comments

• Options
    pauldpauld Posts: 106
    That is a nice module and it does make using the autopatch switchers easier.

However, I think that the module could be just a little more flexible. I don't like that the module makes you use the default switch Levels, and you cannot define what is a "Video level" or "Audio Level". Also, I would like to have more than just 2 levels, as in many cases I have a switcher with 2 different video levels (1 for HD video and 1 for SD video) and 1 audio level.

So, bottom line, I would like to see the number of levels increased and to make the levels definable as Audio or Video. I think that this would make the module more flexible, and far more useful in large installations.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul
  • Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    Alright, this has NOT been my week for comm modules. I was back onsite yesterday and for the life of me, I can't remember what my problem was (today was spent fighting a different prob to be posted in another thread). I do remember that I was to the point of deciding to write my own comm module for the unit. I am using the new Precis LT 18x18 audio switcher with DSP. Has anyone else had any experience with this new piece? All I was trying to do was setup simple volume control of each zone, but it didn't seem to respond to any volume commands other than absolute volume settings. I quickly whipped up a couple of lines of code to send the BCS command to increment and decrement volume and everything worked fine.

If you have used the comm module from AMX, did the volume ramp up/down work for you?

Thanks,
    Jeff
  • Options
    pauldpauld Posts: 106
    Well, I have not used that exact Autopatch unit, and I have not used the volume commands in this module. I used this module for a simple video switching system that I did, but for the more advanced systems the module just isn't robust enough for me. In other words, my system designers will end up using 1 switcher with 3 different levels or will use 2 or more switchers for all of the different types of signals that need to be routed.

I wish I could offer more help, but most of the time i end up using my old code over again and adapting that code to the new switcher.

Paul
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    I've just installed one of the new Precis models with this module, and have found it to be seriously lacking for volume support. I don't know if it's due to device-specific BCS commands the module doesn't support, or device flaws. For one, I can't get any feedback to work at all. Even if I use the passthru command to query the switcher's volume, I get no response. The mute function of the module doesn't work at all. The command goes out, and the switch echos it, but it doesn't mute. WIthout volume feedback, you can't fake it in code by storing the volume and sending a zero. I am now contemplating a fully artificial volume management by storing everything in code and only sending absolute levels. I am not happy doing that at all.

The switch does, however, function properly in some ways. It switches, and the volume goes up and down. But with the above mentioned flaws, I would have rather installed a Vaux switch for the audio and gotten a video-only Precis. We only went with Autopatch in the first place because we needed to switch component video from seven sources to a half-dozen displays, and it seemed to make sense to do audio on the same box. I regret that decision.