Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Wireless master

Has anyone ever used an NI master wirelessly? I have an installation that needs a master where there is no Cat5 for a network connection so they want to plug the master into a wireless bridge instead. There will also be a wireless MVP-8400 and a wired CV12.

Has anyone ever had a positive experience with a wireless master? I tried calling tech support but they are closed for the holiday.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I don't see any problem with this idea, but I haven't done it myself. If you consider that most of the time I set the masters to 10 half duplex, a good wireless connection should be able to handle it no problem.

The real reason I am posting tho is because of a moment of clarity. I really like the hidden meaning of your signature graphic... AMX ROCKS! :)

Jeff
  • Options
    Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    Ohhh... Snap... I never got that. Damn!

- Chip
  • Options
    wcravenelwcravenel Posts: 114
    I've done it. Wireless bridge (B) into a wireless router (Theater), used the router to take care of the controller (Theater) wired and the MVP(Theater) wireless, and pointed WAN side to the main wireless access point (Office).

Also - wired to the theater router is another wireless router (Family Room) to which is wired another controller and receiving wireless MVP (Family Rm).

I was originally going to do it all "properly" with separate access points and switches, but all I had initially was the wireless routers, and they worked.

Client's original wireless router was Linksys, so I used all Linksys.

I could sketch it and detail it in an email if you want; if you have time to source APs and switches, that might be easier (although you will need 2 APs each location, one for receiving MVP and one for wireless bridge).

Bill
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Used a Linksys WGA54G Wireless-G Game Adapter before - worked great!!
  • Options
    Joe HebertJoe Hebert Posts: 2,159
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I?ll move forward with confidence.
    Spire_Jeff wrote:
    The real reason I am posting tho is because of a moment of clarity. I really like the hidden meaning of your signature graphic... AMX ROCKS! :)
    Thanks. I wondered if anyone understood the graphic. I asked my wife to tell me what she thought it meant. She looked at it for a while and replied, ?AMX Stones?? :eek:
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    jjames wrote:
    Used a Linksys WGA54G Wireless-G Game Adapter before - worked great!!
    I've done the exact same thing, except with the Netgear game adapter. It worked flawlessly.

Another product I have used in tough-to-wire spots is the Netgear powerline ethernet adapters. You plug the transmitter in at your router, and can pick up the network anywhere there is an electrical outlet with one of the receivers. They make a hard-wired receiver, and a WAP receiver that takes the powerline signal and broadcasts it as an independant WAP. Very useful set of tools for retro jobs.
  • Options
    pdabrowskipdabrowski Posts: 184
    I haven't used the powerline net adapters for AMX however having spent good money on one to use at home, I was less than impressed with the performance.

It might have to do with the fact it was a model made for 240vAC but the advertised speed was nowhere near what I got for real.

I did notice that one factor was with the other equipment connected to the power circuits, so when installing it into a house, you should consider the potential for "dirty" gear to be on the same line.
  • Options
    bobbob Posts: 296
    Also, with powerline adapters you have to make sure that both sender and receiver are on the same AC line, otherwise they wont be able to communicate to each other.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    bob wrote:
    Also, with powerline adapters you have to make sure that both sender and receiver are on the same AC line, otherwise they wont be able to communicate to each other.
    They advertise that they will cross phases (at least the Netgear ones do), and experience seems to bear this out. They even provide the ability to implement a security code so your neighbor can't hack into your network. Though it can't hurt to have a phase bridge installed; I would.

Performance-wise, they are limited to 10 Mbs. - more than good enough for AMX communications, or even your typical broadband, but I wouldn't want to connect to my server with it. I imagine a noisy electrical system will affect performance as well.
  • Options
    pdabrowski wrote:
    I haven't used the powerline net adapters for AMX however having spent good money on one to use at home, I was less than impressed with the performance.
    I would not trust any data signals travelling over power lines. The X10 protocol has been around for years and years and it still is extremely unreliable.