Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Wireless Axlink?

mushmush Posts: 287
G'day, Thanks for looking.

I have an application that requires connecting Axlink between two buildings.
To run a cable would be extremely difficult and cost prohibitive.
Has anyone ever run Axlink wirelessly?
Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could do this?

Any help or ideas much appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Options
    vincenvincen Posts: 526
    In past time it existed a box that allowed you to run AXLink wirelessly to jump between two buildings or two rooms for example, it was based on same technology as defunct VPN and VPW. I don't think AMX has still stock of these as it's pretty old !! Perhaps someone have a couple of these in stock ;)

You could also use perhaps AXB-NET (that allowed you to transport AXLInk though Ethernet) if you have an ethernet network, and these boxes are defunct since shorter time than others, so greater chances to find some ;)

Hope it helps

Vinc
  • Options
    dchristodchristo Posts: 177
    You could use a second processor at the remote location, and then use 802.11 wireless between the two processors. The second processor would not need any programming, just an IP address and a System number. I've done this to extend Axlink over fiber.

--D
  • Options
    You could look into using a wireless RS-232 link like those made by Aerocomm. Look for the Conneclink CL4490 set. Should run about US$ 250.

Here is the link, hope that it works:
    http://www.aerocomm.com/rf_data_modems/connexlink_radio_modem.htm
  • Options
    You could look into using a wireless RS-232 link like those made by Aerocomm. Look for the Conneclink CL4490 set. Should run about US$ 250.

Nice suggestion as Aerocomm was chipset used by AMX for wireless link in AXLink devices in past ;)

Vinc
  • Options
    Thanks to all those who replied.

Vincen, I presume you are refering to a Wave server and a WAV-PK?
    Do you know if this will actually extend Axlink, as from what I've
    read about these it appears that only one device number will work
    on the WAv-PK end. Is this correct? I've not had any experience
    with these units so any advice from those that have experience
    would be much appreciated. I've been keeping my eye open for these
    on eBay but they are few and far between.

The other suggestion to use the aerocomm is a good one but I have
    a question. Is the Axlink bus two simplex or duplex lines?
    If they are duplex then using a aerocomm is not going to work off
    the shelf as far as I can see. Once again any comments or
    suggestions appreciated.

Cheers

Matthew
  • Options
    mush wrote:
    Vincen, I presume you are refering to a Wave server and a WAV-PK?
    Do you know if this will actually extend Axlink, as from what I've
    read about these it appears that only one device number will work
    on the WAv-PK end. Is this correct? I've not had any experience
    with these units so any advice from those that have experience
    would be much appreciated. I've been keeping my eye open for these
    on eBay but they are few and far between.

In fact it's a WAV-LNK and it supports up to 16 AXLink devices connected to it ;) I attach PDF of that product (avalaible in archived manuals on AMX website ;) Hope it helps you, biggest deal is to find some units now as it's pretty old !!

Vinc
  • Options
    I would probably *not* extend AX-Link (which - I recall - is based on RS-485 but at a non-standard baudrate), I would instead create a different link between two processors. RS-232 could be fairly easy, and several options are available to accomplish this
    The mentioned Aerocomm tranceivers (900Mhz/2.4GHz) could provide a "complete" solution (interface and transmission).
    An other option could be to use a RS-232 to Ethernet converter like those made by Lantronix, Digi and others and use the (existing?) LAN.
    I would not recommend the AXB-NET devices - I was told by several at AMX that those never were reliable.
  • Options
    vincen wrote:
    In fact it's a WAV-LNK and it supports up to 16 AXLink devices connected to it ;) I attach PDF of that product (avalaible in archived manuals on AMX website ;) Hope it helps you, biggest deal is to find some units now as it's pretty old !!

Vinc?n

Thanks Mate! I will keep a lookout for these on eBay.
  • Options
    I would probably *not* extend AX-Link (which - I recall - is based on RS-485 but at a non-standard baudrate), I would instead create a different link between two processors. RS-232 could be fairly easy, and several options are available to accomplish this
    The mentioned Aerocomm tranceivers (900Mhz/2.4GHz) could provide a "complete" solution (interface and transmission).
    An other option could be to use a RS-232 to Ethernet converter like those made by Lantronix, Digi and others and use the (existing?) LAN.
    I would not recommend the AXB-NET devices - I was told by several at AMX that those never were reliable.

Thank you too Wilbert!
    After reading your post I remembered an old tech note which turned out to be TN29. http://www.amx.com/techsupport/PDNTechNote.asp?id=29

It would appear that you are correct, Axlinx is a 'type' of RS485 and 20.8K is strange. So I think your idea will work. I will check it out.

Thanks again.

Matthew
  • Options
    bobbob Posts: 296
    The WAV-PK used together say with AXT-CA10 to attach it wireless to the AXlink bus is 4 devices only, where the WAV-LNK supports 16 devices.