Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

What happens to old AXB-IRS4s and AXB-TM5s?

I have seen quite a few of these devices lock up or otherwise fail, sometimes crashing the Axlink bus.

Could they just need their batteries replaced? EPROM re written?

I am acquiring quite a collection of them and would hope to be able to give them a fix and a new leash on life.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    In what way do they fail? I have seen AXB-VOL3 fail alot andd it is usually just a low cost resistive network IC that goes bad and makes the box lose its correct ID bit on the axlink.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    The IRS4s I've seen go bad seem to either have the Axlink light stuck on or off and usually contaminate the bus, preventing proper operation of other devices.

The TM5s get the response and IR lights stuck on, also contaminating the bus.
  • Options
    I had a AXB-TM5 loose its memory (firmware) every time the power went out. I ended up replacing the battery (solder type in my box) and have not had a problem since.
    Most Axcess devices use 3 Volt CR2032 batteries (available at Radio Shack, among others) to maintain code when not powered, so be sure to keep some around as more and more devices will start to fail.
  • Options
    cmacma Posts: 94
    I agree that they probably just need new batteries and firmware reloaded.
  • Options
    TurnipTruckTurnipTruck Posts: 1,485
    The firmware for an IRS4 is on an EPROM, which would not be affected by a weak back-up battery. However, the IR codes that you load into the device would be lost by battery death.

As far as the TM5, I beleive that it has flashable memory that is volatile.
  • Options
    Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    I seem to recall hearing/seeing a few IRS4s have the same resistor pack issue that the VOL3 boxes have... Easy test is to put them on the net as the only device and see what address reports back - if it reports at all.

- Chip