Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

More than 255 devices on the same AXlink?

bobbob Posts: 296
What happens actually if more then 255 devices have to be used in the same system and on the same AXlink bus? What are the workarounds or is this a hard limit which may be solved only by switching to Netlinx?

Comments

• Options
    Spire_JeffSpire_Jeff Posts: 1,917
    I'm not that familiar with AXLINK, but if I had a system with over 255 AXLINK devices, I'd make every effort to switch to Netlinx just for the increased processing power. Altho, I suppose this depends greatly on what devices you have on the Axlink. I would also think that the programming would be easier to organize and you also have the added advantage of multiple processors connected via IP.

Now I'm curious, what campus are you running on a single axcent master? (Ok, I'm just guessing, but I would like to know what you are controlling if you don't mind sharing)

Jeff
  • Options
    Hi Jeff,

No, I have less than 200 devices but were just curious about this. This is a larger residential installation which I will move to Netlinx soon. I am already looking for an ME260 master :-)

You are right about the more processing power of the NI master and better organisation of the program itself. Netlinx is just better to write and read, especially when the program grows and also the ability to reuse all the AXCESS cardframes and other AXB devices is quite convenient.

The control includes really a lot of AV equipment, lights, shades and curtains, lot of contact closures and inputs for quite a few sensors of an alarm system. There are also numerous 4-device TPs around (VPNs and CA10s).
  • Options
    cwpartridgecwpartridge Posts: 120
    bob wrote:
    What happens actually if more then 255 devices have to be used in the same system and on the same AXlink bus? What are the workarounds or is this a hard limit which may be solved only by switching to Netlinx?

You cannot put more than 255 devices on one Axlink bus. There is no way to set device numbers of an Axlink device above 255, so there will be device conflicts, and indeterminate behavior of the system. Anytime duplicate device numbers are present problems occur.

The only feasible solution for more than 255 Axlink devices is to use multiple NetLinx masters (at least 2) and split the Axlink devices between the NetLinx masters. NetLinx master to master programming can be used if both masters need to access Axlink devices on either master.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    On the bright side, NetLinx master-to-master communication is trivial to implement.
  • Options
    Thanks, guys!
  • Options
    bob wrote:
    No, I have less than 200 devices but were just curious about this. This is a larger residential installation which I will move to Netlinx soon. I am already looking for an ME260 master :-)

Please do yourself and the home-owner a favor and get one of the newer faster NI-700/900/x100 processors instead of an older, slower, non-Duet ME260. If they have this many devices, money cannot be that big a factor and the increased speed and memory should be very noticable. Plus you won't need to upgrade them again when you run into something requiring Duet.