Home AMX User Forum AMX Control Products
Options

Image software

Hello everyone
I've started to make more of my own custom icons and was wondering what software that everyone is using to do so?

Comments

• Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    I love using Fireworks 8 for all my stuff. The way I see it, Fireworks is more of a "drawing" program, and PhotoShop is more of a photo editing program.
  • Options
    bmitchellbmitchell Posts: 41
    I use Paint Shop Pro by Corel.
  • Options
    Thomas HayesThomas Hayes Posts: 1,164
    Thx's jjames and Bryan, I'm presently using photoshop/MS paint to do stuff but it's not the best. I'm trying to create better images for the panel than I have now. Do you know the cost?
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    Google The Gimp. It's an open-source free program on par with Photoshop. The learning curve is fairly steep though. For buttons and such, you may want to check out the Xara line; I htink their basic editors without going Flash and all that, are under $100.
  • Options
    jjamesjjames Posts: 2,908
    Fireworks 8 runs around $300, a bit costly but I think it's one of the best graphics programs out there - as far as creating images. Also - don't be suprised when you end up at Adobe's site when you try to find Macromedia's.
  • Options
    youstrayoustra Posts: 135
    Photoshop - there's nothing you can't do w/ it, but it does have a learning curve.
  • Options
    VLCNCRZRVLCNCRZR Posts: 216
    Button editor tool...

Gee Wally...., wouldnt' it be real neat if there was button image editing stuff built
    right into the touch panel software?!?!

I bet some other guys are already doin it.

I don't know Beav, I dont think you can just mix stuff together like that!

Well... anyways.., it would be real neat.

Maybe...
    Someday...
  • Options
    JMeeksJMeeks Posts: 8
    My vote's for Fireworks, for one reason alone: vectors

Vectors allow you near-infinite resizing capability. You can very quickly resize a button to accomodate any changes necessary.

Also, Fireworks' layering system makes perfect sense for a touchpanel design.
  • Options
    mpullinmpullin Posts: 949
    I use Flash 8 and export to PNG. (Since I use Flash anyway for a lot of other stuff)

I see Fireworks dying a slow death ever since Macromedia was taken over -- no reason to put any more resources into a $300 program when your company owns an $800 program that does the same kinds of stuff.
  • Options
    DHawthorneDHawthorne Posts: 4,584
    mpullin wrote:
    I use Flash 8 and export to PNG. (Since I use Flash anyway for a lot of other stuff)

I see Fireworks dying a slow death ever since Macromedia was taken over -- no reason to put any more resources into a $300 program when your company owns an $800 program that does the same kinds of stuff.
    Sort of like what AMX did with Phast? :)