Home AMX User Forum AMX General Discussion

RSSweather.com

I just started using the rss feed from rssweather.com. When I first connected and received a valid response and it gave me a complete list of current values which included a table of <dt> value type(definition term) </dt> and <dd>value(definition description)> that included humidity, wind direction, barometric pressure,......so on 9 values total.

I used that return string as a basis for writing my parsing function but the odd thing is I no longer get the table of <dt's> & <dd's> just the general statement
<title>City, State Weather</title>
<description>Mostly cloudy winds variable in direction at 3 mph. </description>
some other info and then the forecasts in five parts.

I really want those 9 values back.

To any one familar with rssweather.com feed:
I retrieve once per hour as requested by the server!
DEFINE_PROGRAM
     {
     local_var char cMytime [8]
     if (cMyTime != TIME)
	  {
	  cMyTime = TIME
	  fnProcessTime(cMyTime)
	  }
     if (Mytime.Minute == '01' && Mytime.Seconds == '01')
	  {
	  local_var integer nRunOnce
	  if (!nRunOnce)
	       {
	       send_string 0,"'Time ',Time,' - Updating RSS Weather!',crlf"
	       ip_client_open (dvRSS.Port,'www.rssweather.com',80,1)
	       nRunOnce = 1
	       wait 15
		    {
		    nRunOnce = 0
		    }
	       }
	  }
     }

The send string I'm using is:
     ONLINE:
	  {
	  SEND_STRING 0,"'RSS Connected',crlf"
(*ok*)	  SEND_STRING dvRSS,"'GET /rss.php?config=&forecast=zandh&zipcode=06853&country=us&county=09001&zone=ctz009&alt=rss20a HTTP/1.0',crlf"
(*ok*)	  //SEND_STRING dvRSS,"'GET /rss.php?config=&forecast=zandh&place=norwalk&state=ct&zipcode=06853&country=us&county=09001&zone=ctz009&alt=rss20a HTTP/1.1',crlf" 
     	  SEND_STRING dvRSS,"'Host: www.rssweather.com',crlf"
	  SEND_STRING dvRSS,"crlf"
	  }

both send_strings work and return the same info but not the values I originally received. I don't know if these are the same strings I used originally or not but they most likely are.

I haven't had this running for 24 hours yet so maybe it's only included once a day but that's not logical. Maybe the string needs modification to enable the GET command to get those particluar values.

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• viningvining Posts: 4,368
    This send string appears to request all parameters! Unless it's just the right time of day.
    SEND_STRING dvRSS,"'GET /rss.php?hwvUT=F&hwvUP=in&hwvUS=mph&hwvUV=mi&hwvCCChange=tempsky&hwvSF=Y&maxdays=3&daysonly=2&hwvStyle=body&place=norwalk&state=ct&zipcode=06853&country=us&county=09001&zone=CTZ009&alt=rss20a HTTP/1.1',crlf" 

With luck at the next update it will also work. I would force a sooner update but the server just sends a text message reiterating the requirement not to update more than once an hour with no pertinent weather data. It's obviously tracking clients by cookies and session ids.
  • Chip MoodyChip Moody Posts: 727
    You would have to be handling session IDs and cookies in your HTTP requests, so that's not it. The site tracks (on their end) IP addresses and the last zip code (or other area identifier) you requested. You can do a new request every second if you want as long as it has a different zip code...

- Chip

vining wrote:
    This send string appears to request all parameters! Unless it's just the right time of day.
    SEND_STRING dvRSS,"'GET /rss.php?hwvUT=F&hwvUP=in&hwvUS=mph&hwvUV=mi&hwvCCChange=tempsky&hwvSF=Y&maxdays=3&daysonly=2&hwvStyle=body&place=norwalk&state=ct&zipcode=06853&country=us&county=09001&zone=CTZ009&alt=rss20a HTTP/1.1',crlf" 

With luck at the next update it will also work. I would force a sooner update but the server just sends a text message reiterating the requirement not to update more than once an hour with no pertinent weather data. It's obviously tracking clients by cookies and session ids.