Home AMX User Forum AMXForums Archive Threads AMX Hardware
Options

Connect one touch panel to two individual masters

Can one Touch Panel connect to two individual masters? something like channel port 1 connect to master 1, channel port 2 connect to master 2, but master 1 and master 2 totally not connect together.

Comments

• Options
    Short answer, No...

But you can do something like this:

In Master 1 Code: (system ID = 1)
    DEFINE_DEVICE

dvTPMaster1    10001:1:0
    dvTPMaster2    10001:2:0

In Master 2 Code: (system ID = 2)
    DEFINE_DEVICE

dvTPMaster2    10001:2:1

And you Will have to have the masters talking to each other via the URL List.

At that point, just write events for dvTPMaster1 in the Master1 code, and dvTPMaster2 in the Master2 code.
  • Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    im curious, why would you want them to connect to two individual masters? Dont have enough ports on one master? If thats the problem, its easier to connect a cardframe using AXLink :)
  • Options
    yuri wrote:
    im curious, why would you want them to connect to two individual masters? Dont have enough ports on one master? If thats the problem, its easier to connect a cardframe using AXLink :)

Your right,

However, Consider this,

You have 5 seperate rooms/masters all controlling only thier room's equipment. Every room has controlable lighting in them. So instead of having all 5 masters with 5 sets of code doing nearly the exact same thing, Why not use a 'dedicated' master for the lights and have each room's panel point to the code on the 'Lights' master.

Also, The limitation to the AXLink bus is that the TOTAL cable length of all legs must not exceed 3000 feet. In my situation, the lighting controller is over 5000 ft away from the farthest room.
  • Options
    yanbinyanbin Posts: 86
    these two masters are in two different rooms, and their wall are made by concrete, can not run the wire through them, the client wants to use the wireless TP to control one room's video ( connected to one master), and control the audio and lighting in the whole house which connected to the other master as well.
  • Options
    All you need to do is add the ip address of Master 2 in the URL list of Master 1 and define your Panel as I showed, and your all set...no wires between them.
  • Options
    yanbinyanbin Posts: 86
    these two masters are not in the network, I am wandering even i set up the URL for master, they can't connect together I am thinking if I can send different code to both masters.
  • Options
    If you are using G4 wirelss, there has to be some ethernet network for the panel and master to connect to each other. Are there seperate 'local' networks in each room?

Are you using G3?
  • Options
    yuriyuri Posts: 861
    I'm guessing he is using G3...
    And KennyProgram, about your comment on using a dedicated master for lights is offcourse a good solution, i would do the same, but considering topic starters first comment
    master 1 and master 2 totally not connect together.

it would render your solution impossible :)
  • Options
    ericmedleyericmedley Posts: 4,177
    yanbin wrote:
    Can one Touch Panel connect to two individual masters? something like channel port 1 connect to master 1, channel port 2 connect to master 2, but master 1 and master 2 totally not connect together.

If you're referring to y-splicing the AXLink connection (1 touch panel y-d to two separate masters) I'd say no. you're going to get all sorts of collisions on the AxLink buss between the two masters.

The easiest solution is to put both Masters (assuming we're talking about NetLinx) on an IP network and do as suggested. I do this all the time. there are times when an existing customer wants to add a media room to a system. Rather than bust out a bunch of drywall to run serial/IR/etc... control cables to the new location, I can fish one CAT5 and use an NI700 a the location. It'll have no code in it. It's just another master that provides a few RS-232 and IR ports. I put the device in the main code as

dv_Pool_DVD = 5001:02:1

the only thing you have to do is make sure the masters are communicating with each other.

Another less eligant way to connect the roving TP is to connect the two masters via serail cable and create a communications module between the two. I'd do this if one of the masters was an old school AXCESS system. A button press from the zone of the TP that you wanted to go to the other master would result in a string that the other master could respond to.

So:

Netlinx system

BUTTON_EVENT[TP's other zone,XXX}
    {
    PUSH:
    {
    SEND_STRING OTHER_MASTER_SERIAL_PORT,'BUTTON PUSH XXX',$0D
    }
    RELEASE:
    {
    SEND_STRING OTHER_MASTER_SERIAL_PORT,'BUTTON RELEASE XXX',$0D
    }
    }

Then put code in on the other master to convert this to whatever you want it to do.

Hope that helps.

ejm